Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -

I just bought a 12' long raft at a garage sale. It is in good shape overall but one of the valve cores(?) is missing. They are all brass construction, but they don't appear to be the military style valves. I could be wrong, as I am totally new to this. Primarily I need help ID'ing this valve and finding a replacement.

Pictures here:
raft valve - a set on Flickr

Some of the seam tapes have also started to come up. I'm not sure of the construction of the raft, I believe it is rubberized nylon. Definitely not PVC, it is a coated fabric of some sort. It is a Taiwan import. What sort of repair kit or glue should I be looking for?

The HIN is NSCF35821279, which, according to the HIN decoder, was made by "Nelson/Weather-Rite", and was built in 1979(!). Is this possible? I floated it down the river yesterday with no problems. (calm water). The only reference I can find to this manufacturer with any detail is a 1992 trade ruling.

NY 871147 - The tariff classification of inflatable boats from Taiwan. - United States International Trade Commision Rulings

Model 1316 describes my boat perfectly, 2 air chambers, 2 brass valves, rubberized nylon 210 denier fabric. I have a much easier time believing it is from the 90s than the 70s...

Thanks for any help you can provide!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ummmm, I had an old raft w/two chambers that had the same valves...... DEFINITELY from the 70's. Use the same repair stuff you would use for hypalon rubber for your repair kit.......... I found out the the material is very this and my dogs claws puntured the boat when she jumped off once. Also, a boat with two chambers can be a big problem in white water. Think about staying on the calmer sections............... Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the repair kit info. Yeah, I'll be keeping it on the flatwater - I did think about how unpleasant it would be to be left with half a raft if one chamber went... Wish I could figure out something that would thread into that other valve. 1/2" "tubing thread" fittings ALMOST fit...

·
Registered
71 Posts
this is a 1979,probably 210 denier rubberized nylon fabric,by the serial#.also be aware that there is 2 different threads(fine/coarse)for these brass metric plugs!no one i know sells them new,and if they do ,its usually only in the fine thread---i cut up dead boats just to recycle these plugs;i sell ones ive got for $20 each,w/the base,also,so you can replace it too if bad/stripped out.....i found import oil drain plugs work,if correct thread/length

·
Registered
16 Posts
iLewis33, I won't charge you 20 bucks. I will let you buy me a beer though. Most boats from that era are pretty much junk, but if you've got one in good shape...... Use it till it dies! I will let you know what I find, may take a couple days to get to it though...... Keep checking back

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks - I will definitely keep checking back. I "only" paid $40 for the raft, so I don't want to lay out any more than I have to. I'm trying the oil drain plug angle too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok - found it. Really obscure. An M16.4-1.33 oil drain plug will fit perfectly and seal it tight. It's AutoZone part # 090-039.1, it fits (among others) a 1983 Nissan/Datsun 280zx. Thanks for everyone's help.

·
Registered
71 Posts
ilewis33---you (and all others,in the future that will be helped by my tip!) may send the beer to me,directly,instead of gobig!i'll presume that M # refers to plug diameter and pitch;my specs,as ive measured from two different actual plugs, are different(your possible 1.33 pitch,falls inbetween both my fine/coarse readings,and thats why it may work for awhile,for now, til it re-threads the base,so watch for that!),and it used to be obscure,older volvo drain plugs that worked(i bought my napa out).again,everyone should remember there is 2 different pitches(fine/coarse),and be prepared to spend time to find the right part,or you'll just be cutting out the ruined base,anyway,to put in a pricier modern valve.ive seen folks jam american pipe thread plugs in there---it'll only work one time!!!instead of beer,i'll also accept spots on trips,that appreciate having access to a warehouse of inflatable repair info/river lore,and general good humor......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, credit where credit's due, btt. I would not have thought about oil drain plugs unless you suggested it. As to the thread size - that's absolutely the right size for mine, I measured thread pitch and major diameter with calipers. After wearing out my eyes googling thread standards, I have no doubt that there are other possibilities out there.

The guy I bought the raft from in fact had a 3/8" pipe thread plug jammed in there - surprised the threads weren't destroyed, as you said.

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts