Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Silly, I know- but I just received my Landing Pad from Cascade and my chest is bottomed out and my feet are sitting on a "baloon" about 5" off the ground. How do you people sleep on these things??? Is the stiff foam Paco any better? I had a Maravia for a day- not only did it do this ridiculous baloon imitation, it wasn't designed to be air tight- even said so on the hang tag. I'm confused by this whole concept- why don't they attach the foam to the fabric like a Thermarest?!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
The valve lets it squish for packing open it to auto inflate.

You can use it open or closed as your "sleep number" dictates.

Keep it closed around water.

-Dave
(Seven two 0) 298-2242

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ha! Open valve it is like there's nothing under me but the ground- closed it balloons- bleed out any air and I'm grounded out again. Useless

·
Super Moderator
2,900 Posts
I found out the hard way that if the foam is left compressed it doesn't expand anymore. It sounds like you bought it new but it may have been left rolled too long. Contact Cascade. They should swap it out for you.

After replacing the foam in mine it works great but I had the same problem you refer too. The feet uphill balloon or nothing.

Once you get the new one add an uninflated thermarest pad and a silk sheet and you will feel as divine as I do upon rising from your slumber. It really is bitchin to be this pimpin.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trying for river bliss- but this thing is useless. Might as well throw a plastic tarp on the ground.

My wife tried it and had the same experience- "What's the point of this thing?"

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd order a Jacks with a real valve (not that pool toy joke they put on standard pads) if I thought it would not suffer the same problem. Is it just not possible to bond the foam to the pvc? Would be a much more functional product that way.

·
Registered
796 Posts
How fat are you?!! J/K…a lot of people love them but they don’t work for everyone. It might have compressed foam. I have a Jack’s and a Maravia and they are both super comfortable. The valve I believe is what is used on kayak airbags, I’ve come to like it better I think, doesn’t let out air as fast but don’t have to fiddle with a cover, or lose it, or break it. It’s amply tough. The foam on the landing pads isn't as good as the other two. You should be able to sleep with the valves open if you wanted to.

·
Registered
339 Posts
You are doing it wrong. Just open up the valve, let it self inflate and you are done. Do not close the valve or obviously you will be sleeping on a bubble - not the foam.

If it is still too stiff for you then you should have gone with a thicker pad. I have a 3 inch Paco Grande (different brand) and it is about 10 times more comfortable than my thermarest.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
You aren't the only one. Most of the ones we have and our friends use have lost their comfort in a matter of a few seasons. From the sounds of it most of the companies have a quality control issue. Even if the foam lasts every one I know has blown out corners which make the pad less functional.

I am torn what I will do for my next purchase. The Paco or their ilk are more applicable to multi-use needs of rafting but to me they do not live up to their legends for sleeping comfort, especially for a side sleeper like me. The thicker ones are ridiculously expensive.

And I agree that they could be better if welded somehow like thermarest-like pads. I wonder if one of the reasons they aren't is the rise in costs that would incur as they already have a high price point range. Another option could be a open cell and closed cell hybrid as thin open cell foam is a poor choose for sleeping on (hence why most pad companies use air).

I may actually adopt to go the route of cutting mine open and glueing a thin closed cell pad to the open cell foam in mine and then resealing. They have directions for doing so if the open cell pad gets wet on the JPW site. Haven't investigated it very far at this point but seems like it might add some comfort to mine and I need to remedy the split corners as it is (and gluing the outside seems to be short-lived).

Phillip

·
Registered
55 Posts
I see a couple of things here you may need to address. What size paco did you get? My father in law got a 1 inch paco pad and hated it for the same reasons. I swapped him out with a grande (3 inch) and he's in heaven now. My kid loves the 1 inch. When he out grows it I'll use it somewhere else on the cataraft for padding and hiding stuff from the sun. How are you storing your paco pad? I've found that keeping them rolled will compress the foam. Great place to store your paco is valve open under your bed. My paco is 9 years old and still awesome. I even use it to float around on, strap it to the boat and instant lounge chair in the water. The biggest thing to remember is to NEVER let water into the foam. Watch those valves! When you get water in there it WILL NOT come out. Jack's will cut out the bottom and replace the foam then reseal the pad. You'll lose a couple of inches in length from the process. If you still hate your paco after taking advise from here then sell it and get a walmart air mattress. At $20 a trip you can sleep on something far thicker until it pops.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not doing it wrong- open, closed, add air, subtract air.....I've done it every which way to attempt to keep and use this thing. Choice A) is feeling the ground with my feet in the air (open valve-allowed to self inflate-close valve) and choice b) is let a little air out and feel more ground with feet slightly less elevated. Neither choice offers padded sleep. Le Suck. Even as a pad for the seat during the day- it doesn't offer any cushion- just squished down and balloons up everywhere you aren't.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It is brand new, 3" Aire Landing Pad- and I know how to store one. I've got more gear than you- guaranteed (unless you are a rafting shop- then it's a toss up)

·
Registered
339 Posts
You are doing it wrong. Do NOT close the valve after inflating.

If it is still too stiff, send it back and buy a 3 inch Paco Grande.

Not doing it wrong- open, closed, add air, subtract air.....I've done it every which way to attempt to keep and use this thing. Choice A) is feeling the ground with my feet in the air (open valve-allowed to self inflate-close valve) and choice b) is let a little air out and feel more ground with feet slightly less elevated. Neither choice offers padded sleep. Le Suck. Even as a pad for the seat during the day- it doesn't offer any cushion- just squished down and balloons up everywhere you aren't.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jesus- it is not too stiff. It is not offering any cushioning because the foam is flacid. If I leave the valve open I will be essentially laying on a tarp on the ground.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts