Mountain Buzz banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
In Flagstaff the outfitters buy blocks of ice that are 8x10x2. Thy line the bottom of the coller with these blocks vertical. Any space left over they break the blocks and fill in the holes. They then lay a pad of closed cell foam down that is cut to fit exactly on top of the ice. Then the food goes on top of that, any gaps in the meat cooker are filled in with ice chucks. On top of the food is another closed cell foam cut to fit perfectly.

This means that the cold air is not sucked out past the closed cell foam when the lid is opened. There is also no air movement between the ice at the bottom so it stays colder longer. At the end of a trip that bottom ice has frozen into one big chunk so it looks like it started out as a cooler with water frozen in it.

The coolers are not cold when packed, not kept in a cooler. Everything going in comes out of a freezer or cooler per health department regulations.

Each night the coolers are drained. You can see the results of some testing about draining in my book. I throw an old cotton blanket over my cooler so it hangs off the front but it tied under the straps in the back so it hangs down on to the floor of the self-bailing boat. That way even in the sun, the blanket has moisture moving upward on it. When I have a break I throw a bucket of water on the blanket. (Large beach towels work also dependent upon cooler size.) Of course I am for waves to I don't have to throw a lot of water buckes on the coolers.

I've posted already about dropping umbrellas on the cooler during hikes, lunch etc.

That is then the biggest issue the coolers & the cooler size. The coolers the oar trips use are 3.5' tall by 6' wide by 30" in depth. The are all canyon coolers, they work better than anything else. Mass also helps. That is a lot of ice and a lot of fozen food so there is a large frozen mass in the cooler. By day 8-10 we have 1 empty cooler that we throw boatman beer in.......
Why would you say to drain your coolers and THEN say to keep mass in the cooler? The mass of the cold water doesn't work for you?

RMR, Hyside, NRS, Sawyer, K2 coolers, Whitewater Worthy Trailers, Frames and soft goods
889 Posts
Solid water blocks. Cut bags so water can be drained. It you like cooler stew don’t drain water and don’t cook or transport food o n my trips.

Reactions: BenSlaughter

·
Definite maybe
1,047 Posts

[/QUOTE]
Why would you ever blow or agree to a sobriety test on a boat? You have not signed your rights away with implied consent laws like when you get a driver's license. Im really just a monkey with a cell phone in real life. But am I right about this? I know there are some lawyers here. I won't call you out. But I personally met 2 of yous. For me as average drunk gets in trouble again. I say don't blow. It's only evidence used against you. You never signed your rights away like your drivers license. Am I thinking ok?

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
Why would you ever blow or agree to a sobriety test on a boat? You have not signed your rights away with implied consent laws like when you get a driver's license. Im really just a monkey with a cell phone in real life. But am I right about this? I know there are some lawyers here. I won't call you out. But I personally met 2 of yous. For me as average drunk gets in trouble again. I say don't blow. It's only evidence used against you. You never signed your rights away like your drivers license. Am I thinking ok?
[/QUOTE]
If you say no..you will end up with more problems…

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
He has a point. LE uses sobriety tests to gather probable cause to arrest you.. It has no other use. A smart lawyer told me, never take the roadside tests, go in and blow into the breathalyzer, even if you blow some obscene number, a good attorney can get you off. Why ? He'd argue that LE didn't have probable cause to stop you in the first place, sober people can weave, and especially in todays world of people with their nose stuck in the phone / trying to figure out their "infotainment" systems and such.

I'm not advicating drinking and driving, I don't for any reason at any time, but then a lifetime of EMS likely has something to do with that.. But if you DO find yourself in that situation, or you may know someone in a similar situation (apologies to Arlo Gutherie)

·
Registered
60 Posts
we both blew a double aught

id eatin nuff gummies and poked smot to probably put that new leo on couch lock for a good 36 hours
machine dont measure that though
so we used it to prove the 2 captains of watercrafts had bac's within the limits of the law
pretty simple deal
call me out and tell em for all i care
not sure how you met a couple of mees unless you include them black n white furkids i roll with

boats reeked of booze its whatcha do when your buzz catching on a still water booze cruise
totally within their rights and i knew i hadnt drank since a bloody mary morning at Irma's
so i refused to do stupid human sobriety tricks and asked to cut to the chase
they were cool about it so were we i think it was her 1st week as an leo

yellowtail is hellofa cool place ill be back

I did have the overview turnout parking lot chuckling when i did my best spicoli took my chaco off and pounded my skull with a this is how stoned i am impression
they probably missed it over their engine noise well below us

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
we both blew a double aught

id eatin nuff gummies and poked smot to probably put that new leo on couch lock for a good 36 hours
machine dont measure that though
so we used it to prove the 2 captains of watercrafts had bac's within the limits of the law
pretty simple deal
call me out and tell em for all i care
not sure how you met a couple of mees unless you include them black n white furkids i roll with

boats reeked of booze its whatcha do when your buzz catching on a still water booze cruise
totally within their rights and i knew i hadnt drank since a bloody mary morning at Irma's
so i refused to do stupid human sobriety tricks and asked to cut to the chase
they were cool about it so were we i think it was her 1st week as an leo

yellowtail is hellofa cool place ill be back

I did have the overview turnout parking lot chuckling when i did my best spicoli took my chaco off and pounded my skull with a this is how stoned i am impression
they probably missed it over their engine noise well below us
Beautiful ram!

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
He has a point. LE uses sobriety tests to gather probable cause to arrest you.. It has no other use. A smart lawyer told me, never take the roadside tests, go in and blow into the breathalyzer, even if you blow some obscene number, a good attorney can get you off. Why ? He'd argue that LE didn't have probable cause to stop you in the first place, sober people can weave, and especially in todays world of people with their nose stuck in the phone / trying to figure out their "infotainment" systems and such.

I'm not advicating drinking and driving, I don't for any reason at any time, but then a lifetime of EMS likely has something to do with that.. But if you DO find yourself in that situation, or you may know someone in a similar situation (apologies to Arlo Gutherie)
The last thing I would ever do is give a refusal. At least in Colorado if you refuse you lose your license. And YOU have to prove you were not intoxicated in court. I’d personally cut to the chase and blow. But I never drink and drive/boat/etc so it would never happen. Would see a lot of refusals when I worked in law enforcement…I never once saw it end well for an individual..

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
The last thing I would ever do is give a refusal. At least in Colorado if you refuse you lose your license. And YOU have to prove you were not intoxicated in court. I’d personally cut to the chase and blow. But I never drink and drive/boat/etc so it would never happen. Would see a lot of refusals when I worked in law enforcement…I never once saw it end well for an individual..
You don't lose your license if you refuse the roadside, just if you refuse to blow in the breathalyzer

·
Definite maybe
1,047 Posts
So if I was boating and drinking and refused to blow, give field sobriety, or blood I would lose my Driver's license? How I wouldn't have been driving. I was told by a ranger at Parkdale years ago that anyone who touches a paddle and a beer could potentially get a BUI. Seemed a little extreme. I think he enjoyed his position a little to much. While we were Eddie out under sledgehammer drinking a beer we got to watch that same ranger running down the train tracks after his upside-down cat. He yelled at us not to touch his boat, so we laughed and watched it float by.

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
So if I was boating and drinking and refused to blow, give field sobriety, or blood I would lose my Driver's license? How I wouldn't have been driving. I was told by a ranger at Parkdale years ago that anyone who touches a paddle and a beer could potentially get a BUI. Seemed a little extreme. I think he enjoyed his position a little to much. While we were Eddie out under sledgehammer drinking a beer we got to watch that same ranger running down the train tracks after his upside-down cat. He yelled at us not to touch his boat, so we laughed and watched it float by.
Every state is different. MNichols hit it on the head with the refusal explanation. But in Colorado you can get a DUI on a boat, pedal bike, horse, and I’m sure theres a few others. which is tied to your drivers license. I think it’s ridiculous, but unfortunately it’s the law. I would never worry about anything non motorized personally. Saw two people in one day get BUIs in a state park though. But I get that, I wouldn’t want a yahoo drunk hauling ass around a lake in a motor boat.

Driving is a privilege…I think a lot of people forget that..If you didn’t drink/smoke or are not over the limit theres zero reason in this instance to resist. They have to put you through the breathalyzer and or a blood test to stick in court.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
just got off desolation after 8 days and two travel days with coolers full of block ice. All the tricks work. So I had a Engle 123 and a off brand 90qt. Both had block ice frozen with cubes /water / dry ice. Probably had 3 inches of solid ice in the bottom. So thanks to all who gave me recipes and tips. It was hot a.f all week and all our food stayed good and we had cold drinks to the end. Only screw up was we were two cases of beer short!! And my otter pops failed but the kids drank them thawed so oh well. Yep iam all dialed now thanks to the good old mountain buzz!! Now to learn how to row in the wind all day lol

·
Registered
88 Posts
just got off desolation after 8 days and two travel days with coolers full of block ice. All the tricks work. So I had a Engle 123 and a off brand 90qt. Both had block ice frozen with cubes /water / dry ice. Probably had 3 inches of solid ice in the bottom. So thanks to all who gave me recipes and tips. It was hot a.f all week and all our food stayed good and we had cold drinks to the end. Only screw up was we were two cases of beer short!! And my otter pops failed but the kids drank them thawed so oh well. Yep iam all dialed now thanks to the good old mountain buzz!! Now to learn how to row in the wind all day lol
Too much to hope for a trip report?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
11 days and back of a hot truck for a day home with no care lol. I think you buzzards may just know a little about a little lol!! That chunk was in the Engle 123 with fresh cucumbers and a fresh bell pepper !! Yahaha! I had enough food for another week lol ! Seriously you guys should invite me on your shite ! I can do it all …er…bwahaha!
iam still trying to figure out just how this , my first real big trip, went ??? Iam pretty sure it was not according to mosts plans and with more drama than most could stand. So…in fairness to the innocent and to insure iam invited on your next trip… I may just keep that private lol!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Al
11 days and back of a hot truck for a day home with no care lol. I think you buzzards may just know a little about a little lol!! That chunk was in the Engle 123 with fresh cucumbers and a fresh bell pepper !! Yahaha! I had enough food for another week lol ! Seriously you guys should invite me on your shite ! I can do it all …er…bwahaha!
iam still trying to figure out just how this , my first real big trip, went ??? Iam pretty sure it was not according to mosts plans and with more drama than most could stand. So…in fairness to the innocent and to insure iam invited on your next trip… I may just keep that private lol!!
Allright, Charlie. You’re officially invited to come on my next trip. Launching Oct 9 at Boundary, and turning the corner. You won’t have any problems making your ice last….I’m pretty darn sure of that. And just think: beer so cold it’s got ice in it, even without being in the cooler! Awesome….

41 - 60 of 60 Posts