Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any tricks to prevent oil canning?

Storage: I store it horizontal, hanging from the grab loops.
Hot Sun: The boat will be in the back of a hot truck frequently, put it on it's side or flat on the hull?
My fat asss: I'm pushing the limit of the weight range, should I loose some weight?

Cheers-
-Dan

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, I've got a new boat :D and don't want it to look like my old boat. Visually, the old boat's hull looks like this: ~

·
Registered
159 Posts
best way is to not use the boat...

If the boat is hot from the sun, cool the boat before you get in and do a seal launch.
What happens is the hot plastic streches then cools off in the water.

Next don't boof or splat any rocks as that streches the plastic also.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Ditto on the foam under the seat. It solved my oil canning problem permanently. No boofing or splatting rocks = NO FUN

·
Registered
194 Posts
ditto on what of the Captain says. Walking around rapids in general will also prolong the life of your boat.

Of course there is new technique, I believe they call it the Denver/Boulder solution, which is to wait until the first week of may and throw your new boat on your roof racks and leave it there untouched until September. Problem solved.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So let me get this straight. I have two options: boat like a candy-ass or put some foam under my butt. What about padded bike shorts, do those count?

·
Registered
846 Posts
I have heard that storing kayaks standing up on end is the best way to reduce any stress on the hull. Hanging it by the grabloops may actually contribute to oil-canning over time, but then again it may not. Definitely boof everything in sight, what fun is boating without boofing?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I agree also on the foam under the seat. My advice would be to go much thicker than you would think (3/4'' or 1'') 'cause it's going to pack out.

I took the seat out of my ZG and added a whole sheet of foam under it and it's much stiffer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
As far as storage goes, I've been told to always store it on the side so that gravity over the years doesn't add to the oil canning.

·
Registered
989 Posts
My superstar's not even two years old and oilpanning. That slim piece of plastic outfitting is no match for physics...and prevents wedging some foam under the seat like these guys are suggesting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts