Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey trying to put together a fall trip, want to start at Loma and end in Lake Powell. We will probably launch around the 13th. How are water levels going to be? What am I getting myself into?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Launch around the 13th of what month? I got a WW permit for 9-12. Hope you have a WW permit for the day your crew arrives at WW. I'd love to run this section with you. You'll be fine as long as you hit rapids straight and move away from stuff you don't want to hit. PM me we can run a shuttle from Loma down to Hite and run Cat... Sweet!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Hi,

I did WW to Hite solo two Octobers ago. Wonderful weather, almost no other river traffic, and yes, for the last 20 miles I sure was glad I'd brought that little Honda 5.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

·
Registered
435 Posts
Hi,

I did WW to Hite solo two Octobers ago. Wonderful weather, almost no other river traffic, and yes, for the last 20 miles I sure was glad I'd brought that little Honda 5.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

How long did it take you? Raft I presume?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Hi,

Yeah, forgot to mention that.

I took 14 days, and I rowed only half-energized most days. One day, just to see how far I would travel, I didn't row at all, only taking positioning strokes to stay in the current. I loafed along and did 15 or so miles that day, IIRC. So anyone who wants to exert themself can get down in far less time than I took.

A couple of other factors to consider. I had virtually no upstream wind -- you may not be so lucky. The days are short and getting shorter that time of year -- your shore routine may be impacted, depending on the size of your group. Being by myself, I had a real quick meal routine and minimum camp setup/takedown time. There were a few mornings when I had ice in the water bottle, but the weather there is still pretty good. (Yes, well, there was that October 3-4 years back, when it was raining, cold, and miserable for a week or so in mid-October, but the law of averages will be on your side.)

Hope this helps.

Rich Phillips

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,438 Posts
i have done it twice. both with motors. the first was 18 days and 3 layovers the second was 18 days and 4 layovers. both had big days of motoring involved. i wouldnt think of doing it that time of year without a motor unless i had at least 3 weeks and planned on getting rid of layovers if the wind picked up. we had wind so bad in the daily that we were going upstream in a rapid with the motor!!!!!!!!!!! had we been rowing it would have been a day to drink. with low water and wind i have seen row trips take 5 days just to get through the flats from potash to the rapids in cat. the stretch below the daily and above potash is disgustingly flatter. i would take a motor if you like layovers and dont like rowing all day everyday if it is windy. you only have to use it when you want. a cool last camp above potash is on the sand bar across from wallstreet. it sets you up to get to potash in just a couple hours to meet your cat party.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome thanks for all the tips. So with a motor and no layovers is 12 days doable? Would it be worth adding layovers and if so where?

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,438 Posts
i think it would be doable. i also think it is silly to skip layovers. there are a ton of beaches down in cat that lend themselves to layovers. if you want to hike the dolls house, the beach right below rapid #1 ( brown betty) is sweet. it all depends on your style of trip. if it is just you, layovers may be a little much. if you have a social group that likes to party, hike, lay around and launch late 12 days may be a push. i have always gone slow through ruby and westy then hauled ass till i got to cat where i really slow it down. i am a fan of 6-10 day cat trips. the best camp between cisco and potash is onion creek. big beach on the right. everything else from cisco to potash aint that great. mostly blm camps. good thing is you dont have to bust out the groover much, and the scenery is cool. flllllllllllaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttt. assess your gas situation as you hit moab. dont run out there or its a looooong super slow row to potash. there is a ton of stuff to see down there if you have the time.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The side hike to the Doll House at Spanish bottom is sweet!

Hi Zach! Fond memories of that Cat trip last October. That was a good time!

·
Registered
133 Posts
That time of year you would want to layover at Brown Betty(rapid 1) in Cat or Rapid 5 so you could hike the dolls house. The dolls house is nifty keeno and cool weather makes it a sweeeet hike. After that much time on the water, you might want a double layover-so you could chill one day and hike the next. Then its a day of rapids-or if your up for it, you could do the rapids, hit the lake and motor out and be out by dark-thirty. Early start would be good if you go that big last day.

Lets see assume 2500 cfs Ruby-confluence-break it down-Loma-Cisco, 2 days, Cisco-Moab, 2 days, Moab-confluence, 3 days, confluence out-2 days. Thats early starts, lots of rowing, no stops-and a motor for the lake. I bet you could pull off a 12 day with a layover- easy if you have a motor.

Last year at takeout I ran into a group that did Loma to takeout in 4 days with a motor- they motored through the night Moab to the confluence, and they did it in 4 days-as did we from Potash rowing. They had people coming and going for the WW section and Cat section- a logistical night mare, but pulled it off.

Have fun!!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Barring bad winds, and no motor.

2.5 days Loma-Cisco
1.5 days Cisco - Hwy 191 bridge
3 days - Bridge - confluence
1 day rapids,
1 day to hite.

9 days w/o motor is possible. winds (common) would kill this schedule quick. I've done 5 days at low water in late fall early winter from Jackson Bottom to Hite, there was LOTS of rowing and long days of pushing. Fun, but its more fun with 9 and 9/10ths horses pushing!

Conceivable in 9 days, but would be long days. Motoring at night at low flows will be tricky for most of cat above the rapids. There are lots of sandbars, and channels that start deep and get ankle deep... There are few rocks to wreck the motor, but all that sand and motoring at night means you better bring an extra impeller kit for the motor.

It's an easy day of motoring from Cisco to Moab, but remember you arent supposed to motor from Cisco for 1.5 miles down. Motoring from Moab bridge to spanish bottom is still 2 fairly long days of motoring. It is fairly easy to launch from spanish bottom and hit Hite in the evening IF you get up early....

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,438 Posts
certainly not trying to start a pissing match dgosn but....

its an easy day motoring from cisco to moab????????????

what flows you talking about here and what kind of rig and motor??

i have done it twice in october in a raft with a 5 hp and it aint an easy day of motoring. that would be a huge day and if you get some good wind forget it. we spent 6 hrs just in the daily section with a motor last year. WIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNDDDDDDD!!!!!!

i have been on the lazy plan (3-4 days cisco-moab) both times but i bet i have easily spent a good 20+ hours on the motor from cisco to the moab bridge.

launch from spanish and hit hite in a day???

again what flows and what craft? launch at dusk????

you may be able to do it but it would be miserable. also why the hell would you do that as a day trip?????

those beaches down there in the rapids are sweet. blow by every one without stopping?????? seems like alot of work to blast the rapids then torture yourself in the flats all in a day. plus if something does go south in the rapids you are definitely hosed.

just another perspective.

·
Registered
487 Posts
pissing match! You sir, are an asshole!

just kiddin.

I did a cisco to Moab trip in 2 days, but only about 4 hours each day. No wind, flows at 8k. I have a 9.9hp merc from 1964, this was with 3 boats, not a huge barge. With a GPS i clocked my motoring speed on cat with 3 big cats and my 9.9 to be around 7.5 mph. I have been all but shut down before with the motor during strong winds.

I was pointing out short trips can be done with motivation and luck (no wind). I personally like 7 day cat trips with just the motor for the lake. I ended up getting a motor so i could take 3-5 day cat trips. I hate motoring all day, I'd rather motor awhile, kill the engine, drink, swim, and all that. I find the buzz of the motor after 6 hours to drive me crazy, but if all I have is 4 days for a cat trip it is worth it.

If I were to do a Loma - Hite trip I'd do at least 2 weeks, but I'd feel confident in 10 days if need be. I'd also rather launch at Green River or Ruby ranch than Loma. Other the Westwater, I like the green river section better, no road, less people.

scott

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,438 Posts
i'd buy that in a second with flows at 8k. my flows were more like 3500. 2-3 rafts and a 5 hp. i imagine you can make better time in cats as well. less surface area for the motor to push. i LOVE cataract!!! let me know when you are droppin in next.

i just got back from a lodore and i was amazed at how much faster the flats are at 1750 than 800.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts