Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a welded frame with non-bushed towers. There’s also a bit of play in the lock making for pinch points. Is there a better solution than just keeping it lubricated? I’m sure my bronze locks are the worst for this. The bushings I’ve seen are too big OD to work. Thanks

·
Registered
380 Posts
Mine were worn also so I was able to mill them out to install new DRE bushings. What kind of towers do you have? I am a member of the Loveland Creatorspace so have access to some cool equipment to do things like this...although I am just learning.
Machine tool Engineering Toolroom Gas Auto part

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It’s just thin steel with not enough material to punch out. I was hoping there was some specialized tape or a super thin bushing. I’m not sure what I’m asking for, obviously. Seems like I’ll just be grinding up Cobras for the time being, with some lube to slow the process. Perhaps not the problem in assuming it will be. Appreciate the thoughts!
Sleeve Textile Grey Silver Pattern

·
Premium Member
2,957 Posts
How about cutting off the thinwall and adding a piece of thickwall sufficient to install a Sawyer Delrin bushing? Much better (and less expensive than brass and will never squeak). Any welding shop can do this for you for a nominal fee. Hit the welds with cold galv zinc spray from a rattlecan for rust resistance and go boating.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Short term you can try the "Dimock cure" by wrapping a ziplock bag around the shaft of your Cobras - lasts a few hours/days depending on how much slop you have to take up (and how many ziplock bags you have on hand).

Long term you're gonna' have to cut those off and weld on some new ones, like Marshal says. And Delrin is way quieter and longer laster than bronze.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I used an identical setup on towers for an EMT cat frame I built a couple years ago. A dab of marine grease lasts a few days, stops the squeak and there has been no noticeable wear on my Cobras after ~ 50 days use. You just have to get used to the play. I'm a little skeptical of the claims for Delrin. I used very similar, if a little softer HDPE for dory towers and they squeal like a scalded hog if you don't keep them lubed. I keep an open mind tho if someone has actual experience with Delrin.

·
Premium Member
2,957 Posts
I used an identical setup on towers for an EMT cat frame I built a couple years ago. A dab of marine grease lasts a few days, stops the squeak and there has been no noticeable wear on my Cobras after ~ 50 days use. You just have to get used to the play. I'm a little skeptical of the claims for Delrin. I used very similar, if a little softer HDPE for dory towers and they squeal like a scalded hog if you don't keep them lubed. I keep an open mind tho if someone has actual experience with Delrin.
I've used delrin for years when rowing where feathering is adventageous, never worn a bushing out and never had them squeak or make any noise at all

Reactions: Nanko

·
Registered
823 Posts
I have at least 300 days on Delrin bushings - not Sawyers, made by machinist friend - and there is just the faintest hint of "think about replacing." Includes 5-6 Grand trips, a bunch of Cataracts, Lodore, many WW's, etc. I would guess there's maybe 1/32" or 1/16" of wear on the ID of the bushing - when I really torque on the oarlock in the tower I can barely notice any declination. And never squeaks... Marshal is about twice my size. If he swears by 'em as well, that's a good recommendation. They work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts