Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a couple 7' wooden Sawyer Utility Oars that I use on my 9'6" raft. I am having a hard time finding quality oar sleeves that will fit them. I've already tore up a couple of the cheap rubber sleeve/donut combos. I really want to wrap them in rope but my local rafting store doesn't sell the sleeve rope. Does anybody know of a web site where I can purchase this? Or, is there a type of rope that I can purchase from a hardware store that works well?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Haven't used rope wrap on oars for about 30+ years, but we used to buy cord from the marine shops that was sold for pull-start outboard motors. Strong and durable. The wood oars I use now on my 16' raft have Petex sleeves that were done in a ski shop in Flagstaff in 1987. Since they are somewhat skinny, I used rope wrap on the oar locks with that boat. I put fiberglass resin on the outside part of the wrap and the inside is bare rope.

·
Registered
482 Posts
rope wrap

Domestic black rope wrap is available for about 12 cents a foot. One can also use mule tape for about 2 cents a foot.... Amazon. The mule tape is good for lesser diameters. The rope is prettier.
Word has it they won't let you into heaven if you have that cheap plastic clanging crap sleeves on your oars....so..... don't risk the afterlife

1 - 5 of 5 Posts