Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many folks - who use oar rights - put their set screw into their oar? I'm running mine without the set screws and with the rubber doughnut behind it but the doughnut doesn't prevent the whole oar right from turning.

What say ye buzzards?

And how about we don't get into the whole "no oar-right" discussion right now for the sake of this discussion.

·
Registered
506 Posts
When I used oar rights I at times had the oar twist so it would skip on top of the water. It would always take both hands to get it back to right and so as you can imagine it isn't an ideal situation. Anyway I think a set screw is a good idea.

Jim

·
Registered
525 Posts
I don't like the idea of putting any holes in the oar shaft either. So I run without the set screw. But I did put a single layer of friction tape on the shaft before tightening the Oar Rights. Blades seem to keep position well.

I hear a strip of wet/dry sandpaper works as well.

·
Registered
312 Posts
put the stainless screws into the cataract shafts years ago. never looked back. have not had the "rights" shift since.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I've used the set screw for all my cataract oar shafts for more than 15 years now with no issues.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks, Ironmanboulder. I just got a new set of oars, sleeves, and rights. I've been using oars without set screws, when the right gets "off" I just get out the screwdriver and fix it. Not crazy about putting a hole in brand new shafts (Carlisle). Like the idea of something to make the oar right grab tighter.

·
Registered
486 Posts
There were screws in the carliles pos i bought with my first boat. Took them and the rights off after one trip, switched to cataracts with doughnuts and never looked back....until recently when i tried some Pro loks. Although i still like being able to rotate the oar freely, the lock fearture was nice and the wife liked em better than with just the doughnut. Despite what others have said above, i would not want to puncture my cataract oars...the carliles on the other hand look like a junkies arm now after many years of adjustment and dont seen to have bothered them a bit.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Don't oars of all make and models ( for the most part) come with a pretty large hole drilled right through them? I can't imagine a small set screw would change the integrity of the shaft. I still maintain that on technical rivers where it is likely you will hit rocks a set screw is not a bad thing. Not sure if the convertible model are pre drilled for a set screw but the others are and for good reason. IMO

Jim

·
Registered
486 Posts
Sembob, you're right, a little screw probably doesn't affect the oar that much. I guess i just don't like oarrights. What i really don't like is when i hit something hard enough to spin the right it is usually in a spot that i don't want to be trying to re-aligning the blade.. I don't even want to think about what damage that screw could be doing either.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Any one used the new convertible oar rights with the little arm that moves up and down?

Any comments on how they work out when rowing?

·
I'm a fan of screwing. All of mine are screwed. No issues with shaft breakage.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FWIW, my oars I purchased from DRE both had OR on them without the set screw. They don't use the screws on any of the FG shafts - only the wood ones. They said as long as the OR are tightened down enough they haven't seen an issue. Moreover, if you do screw it and it does get slammed the screw will most likely not hold the OR in place and will create a hold (strip) out. I'm thinking of going no screw as having the OR mounted tight to the rope wrap seems to be pretty bomber.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Mine used to spin and I thought about the set-screw option. I use two or three tight wraps of electrical tape...under both the sleeve and the oar right so neither will spin. Have not had any spinning issues for several seasons. I have seen the thick clear "body guard" tape used underneath rights on top of rope wrap, but use whichever tape that will provide the proper thickness for the desired fit.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I used tape for a while too. Until it spun at a really bad time and it was even more of a bugger to get back.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
If you dont drill its much easier to crack the oar right

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
107 Posts
Back when I did use Oar Rights, I did not sink a set screw into my oar shaft. The unwanted slips and changes in oar cant were extremely rare and were something I could easily live with. (But now I choose not to use Oar Rights at all.)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts