Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never rafted the poudre before. Would love to get it done this summer. Definitely better on the oars then guiding a paddle raft. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I also have an oar rig, (15') that I was planning on doing the lower stretch of the Poudre with, Filter plant to Picnic Rock. Am I to big to do the Upper Rustic? Any info would be great. Hopefully the water will be high enough to do the bottom stretch this weekend.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I'd say its too low to raft the FP section. I know the raft renters boat the river pretty low but I'd probably wait until a min 2.5' if you actually want to get a little splashed :) Also for Urustic better wait until 3' on the rock.

I also have an oar rig, (15') that I was planning on doing the lower stretch of the Poudre with, Filter plant to Picnic Rock. Am I to big to do the Upper Rustic? Any info would be great. Hopefully the water will be high enough to do the bottom stretch this weekend.

·
Registered
447 Posts
In my opinion, rustic should not be done below four feet to have fun. It is too low and you will get stuck everywhere. It is pretty up there and cool to see but would be a lot of rock dodging.
It would be easier to paddle raft the main stretch, it gets pretty tight in some place, but if you do decide to oar it, wait for a good level (3 feet and above, preferably 3.5 and above)

·
Registered
765 Posts
There's a few of us who oar it on the weekends,once its flowing. We usually do Stevens (uppermish,lowermish,PoudrePark,Bridges) down,it makes for an exciting day. Lowest we've done it was 2ft. Definitely doable at that level,but there are some parts where it gets VERY bony and you'll be dodgin rock. Mostly on Lower Mish,also Tunnel gets pretty rocky at that level. I'd def. wait til about 3.5 to 4ft to go do the Rustics. 4ft for Upper Rustic.

I don't know if Filter will have enough water in it this weekend or not. It's kind've like the Lower-mish and upper Rustic section--in that it requires a little bit more water(whitewaters not the same) in them,esp. in the long straight-away below MadDog(fuzzy bunny) rapid. You might get bored on FP,its just short and not much action in a raft--and its the most crowded.....usually.

Looking at the parking lot on a weekend at Picnic Rock is way more scarier than Filter Plant

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm no raft Guru, but there was a cat with plastic tubes on Bridges last night... I think they ran Poudre Park down.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've oared my 16' from Upper Mish through Bridges above 3.5'. Very fun run.
I'd like to get on the Rustic sections this summer, once they're over 4'.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've oared my 16' from Upper Mish through Bridges above 3.5'. Very fun run.
I'd like to get on the Rustic sections this summer, once they're over 4'.
Where do you find, other than the rock, the depth? I only know eddyflower and it seems to only give CFS. I'm just trying to relate the numbers people are giving to cfs. Thanks, Cy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts