Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed oar towers, and was contemplating moving around my oar stops. That led me to google, and eventually the magic words that talk about oars.

Rafters seem to be very small beer in the wider rowing scheme of things, so this should be taken with the understanding it's for boats other than 14' SB rafts. Still I found it useful. This a topic here periodically, but a search here didn't turn up the reference I found.

The reported optimal location of the 'button' (non-rafter word for oar stop) is 7/25 from the top for the total oar length. YMMV.

I make no judgement on that, other than screwing around with mine for a couple of years put me close.

NRS says 1/3, FWIW.
Link to reference is
oars

·
Registered
811 Posts
The reported optimal location of the 'button' (non-rafter word for oar stop) is 7/25 from the top for the total oar length.
Except that most of the people I know who use open oarlocks don't row on the stop. Instead the oarlock contacts the oars a ways down on the wraps, so it doesn't really matter precisely where the stop is. The stop is just there to keep the oar from sliding out of the lock when you let go.

·
Registered
707 Posts
That article also puts the handles overlapping. Not sure how many here row like that but I'm thinking not many.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
It always surprises me how much variation I see impact set ups. I personally can't imagine letting the handles overlap. I don't like a foot of space between them either, but of course you don't have to row on the "buttons". I'd never heard stops called that either.

-Dave
(Seven two 0) 298-2242

1 - 6 of 6 Posts