Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moving some things around on the frames. Curious to know from everyone how they setup their oarlocks. Are you using the washers and springs? Benefits? Even needed?

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
85 Posts
I use the threaded Cobra oarlocks so that I don't need to use springs/washers, but they won't work on all oarstands so you will need to check that first. Ideally in this case you have an oarstand which will allow you to put a bushing in it so that the oarlocks are not touching the oarstand and that metal to metal contact is eliminated.

·
Banned
258 Posts
I'd love to be helpful but I'm sure green wall will have the definitive answer soon.
Someone call for Greenwall?
You know it ,thats what we do.

I prefer not to have my oar locks jumping and bouncing and rattling.Aside from loosing lots of power it's highly annoying to listen to janky frames rowing down around the next corner in the canyon.

So your best bet will be springs depending on what tower you use. Sometimes on brands of frames other than ours that people bring in to be fixed we have to cut those springs to get the proper fit. There is a correct way to do it or the spring will unwind off the key ring and fall in the water. Also there is a correct combo to put all the goodies on and the NRS kit is short a few pieces. We just order all our own hardware and put the kits together.

On all our in house Handcrafted Frames we machine all our own bushings ,pieces ,etc. So we have a no wear no lube required system called, ZT Bushing system. Which basically translates to adjustabilty equaling no slop and friction free down to a zero tolerance level.
image.jpg

If you show a picture of your towers I probably have something around here if you can't get it rectified.

I seem to recall whitewater machine works had a cool spacer he made for Atomic oar locks if you use those, it was a product that was definitely needed, I don't use atomics the range of motion sucks and the horn pinch points damage oars but some cat boaters like them because they are light. I put Sawyer threaded Cobras on every boat out the door pretty much.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Put a washer above and below the spring. Then the spring will not dig into your bushing or your retaing ring. It also will not mater how you cut the spring.

The springs help from popping oars

Or you can buy a total awesome setup from Greatwall

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have actually seen Greenwall's frames and it they are definitely well thought out and pretty sweet setups, to the point that I am looking at getting one for myself once I have the funds.

No, I am not Greenwall in case you were wondering and no, I have not been paid by Greenwall to say kind things. I am someone who has met him as well as seen his products and can speak about them from a non-biased point of view.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have actually seen Greenwall's frames and it they are definitely well thought out and pretty sweet setups, to the point that I am looking at getting one for myself once I have the funds.

No, I am not Greenwall in case you were wondering and no, I have not been paid by Greenwall to say kind things. I am someone who has met him as well as seen his products and can speak about them from a non-biased point of view.
I wish you luck on your quest.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Put a washer above and below the spring. Then the spring will not dig into your bushing or your retaing ring. It also will not mater how you cut the spring.

The springs help from popping oars

Or you can buy a total awesome setup from Greatwall
+1

If you can't find the right size stainless washer from your local hardware store, you can try asking NRS for some. I did. I can't fathom why they don't provide washers to go under the springs...

·
Registered
568 Posts
On our new frame, we went with the threaded Cobras. They work pretty sweet with a bushed oar tower. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is how quiet they are. On our other frame, the springs would make a creaking sound while oaring. Yup, they're pricey, but what the hell isn't in this sport when it comes to a quality product. :)

The double washer set-up might eliminate the creaking sound, tho.

·
Registered
649 Posts
The double washer does eliminate a lot of noise.

I also got this supper high tech space age lubricant from Pacific Canyon Whitewater River Inflatable Outfitter Fishing Technologies. I think it is just baby oil though.

·
Banned
258 Posts
The double washer does eliminate a lot of noise.

I also got this supper high tech space age lubricant from Pacific Canyon Whitewater River Inflatable Outfitter Fishing Technologies. I think it is just baby oil though.
You have a link for that because we don't use any lubricant, and I am pretty sure you haven't purchased anything from me so either you are confused or working on some kind of deframation suit here. I will wait and see which it is.

" defamation. n. the act of making untrue statements about another which damages his/her reputation. If the defamatory statement is printed or broadcast over the media it is libel and, if only oral, it is slander."

·
Registered
649 Posts
Do you own this company? In order for me to be deforming your caracter you would need to own Pacific Canyon Whitewater River Inflatable Outfitter Fishing Technology.

·
Banned
258 Posts
Do you own this company? In order for me to be deforming your caracter you would need to own Pacific Canyon Whitewater River Inflatable Outfitter Fishing Technology.
That's why I was confused , was waiting on a confirmation from you and a clarification if you were referencing any of that towards me and or any entity I work for or it was a fictitious name that has no existence in the real world

1 - 20 of 82 Posts