Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What the best way to get rubber oar donuts/stoppers pushed up onto the rope wrap from the shaft. I warmed them in boiling water to get them on the shaft but now can't get them onto the rope wrap.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
This is what worked for me.

I did the boiling routine and still had problems

Squirted some dish liquid soap on the shaft and still had problems

Put a zip tie on two sides of the donuts and made them into loops

Was then able to pull each side up on the rope and same routine to get the donuts where I wanted them. I cut the zip ties and pulled them out but it might work to leave them on till you do final on water tests.

·
Registered
182 Posts
What the best way to get rubber oar donuts/stoppers pushed up onto the rope wrap from the shaft. I warmed them in boiling water to get them on the shaft but now can't get them onto the rope wrap.

Thanks
Before you slide them onto the oars thread two cam straps through them to form pull handles on opposite sides of the donuts. Pulling on these you can slide them down the oar shaft and then once they hit the rope wrap they will flip right over onto the rope with a good tug.

That said, use these instead. They are easier to put on and actually stay in place.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Before you slide them onto the oars thread two cam straps through them to form pull handles on opposite sides of the donuts. Pulling on these you can slide them down the oar shaft and then once they hit the rope wrap they will flip right over onto the rope with a good tug.

That said, use these instead. They are easier to put on and actually stay in place.
Four cam straps and a wood or steel frame--or your porch railing or raft trailer or... Works insanely well.

Edit: this was posted here as early as 2008: rubber oar stop installation

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is what worked for me.

I did the boiling routine and still had problems

Squirted some dish liquid soap on the shaft and still had problems

Put a zip tie on two sides of the donuts and made them into loops

Was then able to pull each side up on the rope and same routine to get the donuts where I wanted them. I cut the zip ties and pulled them out but it might work to leave them on till you do final on water tests.
Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Best method I've ever found, no boiling, dish soap, or pulley's necessary; pop off your blades, stand the oar up (blade end down) on a folded towel or rubber mat, slide the stopper around the handle and hop on a step stool if necessary. Now using the inside of your wrist, like just below your palm, set on the stopper and just pull down using your body weight. They sort of just roll over themselves and onto the oar, you'll feel it start to initiate the roll and you can just do a soft tug to complete it. Keep rolling them over until they are positioned where you want them.

I struggled for what seemed like days until my buddy showed me this method. By far the easiest way I've ever done it.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
No thanks...I prefer the quietness of the rubber.
That was an instruction for installing rubber. ;)

Actually how I got rubber donuts over these square tops.

Conversely...this was my first time using rubber. And the quietness is nice, but I didn't like them sticking to the oarlocks. Do you wax yours?

·
Registered
684 Posts
I do. Beeswax is classy and smells good but expensive. Paraffin from the grocery or restaurant supply store works about as well. Melt in empty (of course) beer can (cut in half) in a hot water bath, paint on with small brush. I slather the rope wrap and the stop. One application usually lasts a season or one Grand trip...

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Best method I've ever found, no boiling, dish soap, or pulley's necessary; pop off your blades, stand the oar up (blade end down) on a folded towel or rubber mat, slide the stopper around the handle and hop on a step stool if necessary. Now using the inside of your wrist, like just below your palm, set on the stopper and just pull down using your body weight. They sort of just roll over themselves and onto the oar, you'll feel it start to initiate the roll and you can just do a soft tug to complete it. Keep rolling them over until they are positioned where you want them.

I struggled for what seemed like days until my buddy showed me this method. By far the easiest way I've ever done it.
yep..short and sweet

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
I do. Beeswax is classy and smells good but expensive. Paraffin from the grocery or restaurant supply store works about as well. Melt in empty (of course) beer can (cut in half) in a hot water bath, paint on with small brush. I slather the rope wrap and the stop. One application usually lasts a season or one Grand trip...
Thank you.
I just started waxing my ropes and hard stops last season. Paraffin goes on by itself and melts into the rope at 90°F and direct sunlight....with just a little help from a lighter or heat gun :D

Wasn't sure it would work on rubber, appreciate the confirmation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts