Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just had a couple of people cancel off of our May 21 Middle Fork. We are looking to add an oar boat or two. I know this is last minute. We are probably going to have to do Marsh Creek. If that happens we may try to launch on Marsh Friday the 20th. I will be checking the road on the 17th.
Three rafts now. 5 kayaks. All experienced. Only two passengers that do not have a lot of river time. Me 10 years guiding. 50 Middle Forks. Both of the other rafters have 20+ MF trips, multilple Grands etc.

Let me know.
Jerry

208-720-2383

·
Registered
245 Posts
of the salmon, right? so you're beating the permit season by a week?

just curious as we are on the 28th and getting antsy about the putin... I don't think we're quite marsh creek caliber either...

·
Super Moderator
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Middle Fork Salmon

Yes you are correct. I think you may be ok for the 28th. I will let you know more as I am going to drive up and look at the road on Sunday.
We have had a ton or rain in the last three weeks with snow up high.
Keep in touch and I will try to update you.
Jerry

·
Super Moderator
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
road getting better

Hey Redbeard,
There are apparently three trips stranded at Dagger Falls right now with badly damaged rafts and unable and/or unwilling to continue.
This is second hand but they are talking with the Forest Service about trying to plow the road so they can exit stage left.

I really think you will be fine for May 28th. Supposed to clear this weekend if you believe those guys.

Best,
Jerry

·
Super Moderator
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wish I could.

All I know is that there are parts or all of three different trips that are not going to continue down the Middle Fork at this time. Apparently there were minor superficial injuries to one or two parties with no one being evacuated for medical reasons.
Sounds like to me they don't want to go down and they are offering to plow the road sometime. This is just speculation mixed with some conjecture and a dose of reading between the lines of two different non-reports. Wish I could tell you more but that is what I heard. Oh also that the first pass to drive in may be open. With the higher second one in the trees still snowed in as I expected.
Jerry

·
Registered
245 Posts
hey Jerry,
thanks for the update, and let's hope they do it!! our group is beginning to despair, considering other non permitted floats to do in the area, but I'm more of the opinion to make it in somehow or other!

so is there a snow cat operation in the area? I wonder if they could plow it, or drag/shuttle a trip in or out? I was thinking a raft sled dragged behind the cat?? :roll:

I don't actually know anything about the road, I hear it's 13 miles, heavy 4WD? and snowed in. sounds from your desc like it has two passes that stay snowed in??

best of luck on your own trip, I think marsh creek is totally out as an option for any of us. :?

·
Super Moderator
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think your trip will be good to go

Tell your group to have a little faith. These are low passes I dont think either one will go over 8,000 feet. Yesterday the elevation at 8,000 was 60F. I am planning our trip to drive to Boundary you never know.
Feel free to contact me at
[email protected]
http://saddletreegallery.com/
is the website I have some river photos online with a couple of artists and am adding more.
Phone to check in as well
office 208-726-3834
cell 720-2383
Best,
Jerry

·
Registered
245 Posts
Great, thanks Jerry. how goes it by now? I think we're going on your beta as to whether to schedule a plane or consider another river altogether... no pressure :wink:

I'm at snow.ape AT gmail DOT com just in case that's somehow easier!

have a great and safe trip if I don't talk to you again before you go!!

·
Super Moderator
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Road to Boundary is open

Hey Redbeard just wanted to let you know that the road is open as of this weekend. It is slushy and muddy now according to reports and single lane over the second summit with few pullouts. Could be interesting.
We're on for our 21st trip and you should be in great shape for the 28th.
Hope it goes well for you. Five feet today.
Best,
Jerry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts