Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All--
Just wondering what the stretch is like from Salida to Rincon now at 650 cfs. I have a 14 foot hyside oar boat I am thinking of using down that section with my parents (active in their 70s but nevertheless still older) and my 2 kids ages 3 and 5 this weekend, but I wanted to check to make sure we could actually get the boat down without it snagging and dragging on too many shallow spots.

I could do the Upper C Pumphouse to Rancho run, but we are getting tired of that and looking for some other floats that are not too far from Summit County.

Thanks for any help/insight you can give!

·
Super Moderator
4,049 Posts
I once rigged at Johnson Village while sharing the boatramp with a commercial group that was going to Canon City. They were two boats, one carrying a family of 4, the other carrying a half-ton of gear for all 6 of them mounded about a foot and a half above the tubes on a 16' oar rig. The Ark was running about 600 then. I've run Salida to Rincon as low as 400 on a paddleboat. Looks like it's about 750 right now below Salida. You'll be fine.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I ran Salida East to Rincon on Sunday with 3 adults and 3 dogs (two over 75#) in a 14' boat with full fishing frame. We didn't get stuck once. Still a great run. A little boney in Bear Creek Rapid but that's it. The swimming holes above rincon is a great place to practice throw bags when the kids jump off the cliff. Enjoy!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like it's going to be great--thanks all! Any particular way to go in Bear Creek Rapid, or is it read and run?

·
Registered
175 Posts
In Bear creek after the culvert under the road it gets wide. There is a brown rock river center/left that is dry. Stay just to the right of it. That is where all the water goes to the left. You can scout it when setting shuttle. Pull over right across from County Road 101. At the bottom all the current goes to the right hard and it looks like you may hit the wall...but you don't.
The rest is read and run. Also the fishing is really good now...Hopper/dropper on the fly rod or any panther martin. Have Fun, and maybe I'll see ya down there. I'm in a white 14' Hyside with a fishing frame.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, one more question. Thinking about putting in at Salida East to avoid congestion in town. Would it be enough to go down to Rincon from there, or should we keep going to Vallie Bridge? That doubles the mileage from roughly 7 miles to 15 miles. Would that be too much at 750 cfs? How long do you think each of those options would take? I guess I don't want too little time on the river but with my group I don't want too much either! Or is there a section downriver before Parkdale that anyone would recommend to get something in between those options?
Thanks again for all the info, it is very helpful!

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Ok, one more question. Thinking about putting in at Salida East to avoid congestion in town. Would it be enough to go down to Rincon from there, or should we keep going to Vallie Bridge? That doubles the mileage from roughly 7 miles to 15 miles. Would that be too much at 750 cfs? How long do you think each of those options would take? I guess I don't want too little time on the river but with my group I don't want too much either! Or is there a section downriver before Parkdale that anyone would recommend to get something in between those options?
Thanks again for all the info, it is very helpful!
FYI, Salida East can easily be more crowded than the downtown boat ramp, especially on Saturday morning...

Another good option would be Rincon to Bighorn Campground just before Cottonwood Rapid. This section sees significantly less traffic. Crux of the run is Tincup, which has a nice wave train on the left.

·
Registered
983 Posts
The real bottleneck on that stretch is the Rincon boat ramp, only one lane wide and not much of an eddy. Though most folks usually are pretty good at keeping things moving at that take out.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
At one point I heard AHRA has plans to redesign the Rincon ramp so it faces downstream, which would make building an eddy much easier and effective...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Salida East to Rincon can take as little as 2 hours so slow down and catch a few eddies it's beautiful in that canyon. Like Imyers said the take out at Rincon sucks right now. You may have to stage your boats in the eddy above on the right. Going to Valley Bridge would take 3/4 day with shuttle. Tincup is the biggest rapid in that stretch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Salida East to Rincon can take as little as 2 hours so slow down and catch a few eddies it's beautiful in that canyon. Like Imyers said the take out at Rincon sucks right now. You may have to stage your boats in the eddy above on the right. Going to Valley Bridge would take 3/4 day with shuttle. Tincup is the biggest rapid in that stretch.
I think we want to make a day of it, so we may do Salida East to Valley Bridge, and therefore bypass Rincon all together. Any info on Tincup rapid other than the left wavetrain that lmyers mentioned?

Are people running shuttle often to Valley? I was going to bike it back up, as we don't have 2 vehicles to complete the shuttle and as a gal I am not comfortable hitch hiking on the road--but if I could get a ride back from someone doing the same stretch that could be a quicker option.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think we want to make a day of it, so we may do Salida East to Valley Bridge, and therefore bypass Rincon all together. Any info on Tincup rapid other than the left wavetrain that lmyers mentioned?

Are people running shuttle often to Valley? I was going to bike it back up, as we don't have 2 vehicles to complete the shuttle and as a gal I am not comfortable hitch hiking on the road--but if I could get a ride back from someone doing the same stretch that could be a quicker option.

Or, are there any shuttle companies working out of Salida??

·
Registered
983 Posts
If you are a one boat/one car trip, paying for shuttle is economically worth it. Otherwise, self shuttle is pretty easy for that stretch, perhaps 45 min round trip.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Tincup is scoutable from the back road up from Valley Bridge. Heading upstream there is a old cemetery on the right side of the road. Go about one city block then pull over and look down to the river. You will here the water. Look at Google earth and you will see it. At this water level you will run river left down it with a left angle because there is a strong lateral wave coming off the left bank you will want to square up to then strainten up for the drop. That road comes out at Howard bridge. Hope this helps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts