Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone that has not be to the O-hole lately it has been improved. The hole was widened and the downstream left bank built up. Bottom line its WAY better than it used to be. So if your looking for water go check it out its nice.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lyons, CO. There is a pull off just downstream and across the street from the u-pump it on hwy 66. Look for a small chain link fence boxing in where the water is diverted into the river. This feature and the small slalom course take advantage of a dam release and usually runs till October. Hence the nickname O-hole. The water is sucked off just downstream of the two drops

·
Registered
88 Posts
Is it still flowing well? My play boating skills are pretty low, is it easy to surf? In your opinion, is it worth a drive up from Denver?
thanks for any info!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right now the water is up on the St. Vrain due to releases. The A-hole and blackbear hole are better. They are about 300-400 yds up stream of the O-hole. Across the street from the blackbear restaurant.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I wrote down the formula on the October hole on riverbrain. I think it's correct.

Saint Vrain River - October Hole - River Brain

Worth the drive from Denver is a harder question. Kind of depends on your motivation. A-hole should be nice and sticky and deep even at this level. BB hole probably has some mellow front surf action. I haven't been to October hole this year, but my recollection is it will probably give up some controlled ends but is flushy if you're like me and not so good at the "controlled" part. It has a nice pool behind it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I was there on Sat. and I thought it was good. This was essentially my 1st surf session, and I found A-Hole to be a nice one to learn on. Black bear was a bit sticky for me, so I skipped it, I had fun charging through O-Hole a few times, and then I had a lot more fun learning to surf on the wave just downstream of O-Hole. I am not sure if it has a name. It was also not very crowded, except for somepeople fishing near O-hole, and a group of boogy boarders that showed up at A-hole.

The waves I surfed were definately easy to surf.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the info. With Golden at 160cfs, my guess is that it will be worth the drive. So did I correctly read that bb hole and a hole are running at 311 right now? If so, then thats definitely going to be worth coming up for. Do you think it will hold through the weekend?
Also, I noticed the pueblo pp came up to 400. That is the highest I've seen it all season. I remember being there awhile back at 500 and thinking I wouldn't drive down for less, but, unfortunately this low water season is making me reconsider. I'm desperate to get on the water but wont be able to camp this weekend. Anyone have experience/oinions with/about pueblo at 400? Anymore thoughts on bb and a hole vs. o hole at these flows? Also, I think there are some class 3 runs on the St. Vrain, are they flowing right now?
Again, thank you very much for the info! Making the best use of my tight gas budget is important right now.

·
Registered
774 Posts
A-hole will be good at 311. Been several people down there the past couple nights and it's been worth the drive from Ft. Collins.

I still find O-hole hit or miss. This year it has been miss three times and hit once. By hit you could stay in on loops and not flush before you finished plugging.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Where do you get your flow information from for the St Vrain. I have been looking on Colorado surface water conditions, but do not know if their gauge is upstream or downstream of the park.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
This gauge is correct for BB and A-hole:
Detail Graph

October hole is more complicated. See my post above.

The class III run on the north fork above Lyons will be pretty low, but probably doable. If you guess there's a little less than 100 cfs coming in from SSV, then NSV below Buttonrock probably has low 200s. I think that's doable, but you would certainly prefer more.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Be heads up for wood on the Shelly's Cottage section. There are a couple of trees down. One just after the put in and another about half way down down the run.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts