Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Jesus, you guys are TOUGH.
I like to think of myself that way but really...

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad gear."

Drysuit, hood, pogies and paddling to stay upright makes a winter day completely comfortable. I'm from Maine. The sun out here is high and strong even in the dead of winter. And the Ark is as good as low water paddling gets. We are soo lucky!

·
Registered
806 Posts
I like to think of myself that way but really...

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad gear."

Drysuit, hood, pogies and paddling to stay upright makes a winter day completely comfortable. I'm from Maine. The sun out here is high and strong even in the dead of winter. And the Ark is as good as low water paddling gets. We are soo lucky!
I learned with Ledyard at Dartmouth. We wore sweaters and some with cheap neoprene vests etc. Homemade pogies (hate them to this day), sometimes lined with this newfangled "fleece" stuff. Didn't seem so bad then on the Swift, Pemi, Rapid (you may know these well since they're near your stomping grounds) but I'm chilling right now thinking about it! I've got a nice Kokatat suit and top, but I still guess I've gotten softer....

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I learned with Ledyard at Dartmouth. We wore sweaters and some with cheap neoprene vests etc. Homemade pogies (hate them to this day), sometimes lined with this newfangled "fleece" stuff. Didn't seem so bad then on the Swift, Pemi, Rapid (you may know these well since they're near your stomping grounds) but I'm chilling right now thinking about it! I've got a nice Kokatat suit and top, but I still guess I've gotten softer....
Hah! I've been cold on the Swift, spent many an afternoon at Smooth Ledge on the Rapid and attended an annual picnic gathering with the club on the Pemi. Paddling, and especially creeking, in Maine in the spring is sooo much colder than paddling the Ark on a warm winter day. My son got "wait listed" at Dartmouth so he went to Princeton instead. :) I'm sure we have a lot of mutual friends...

·
Registered
806 Posts
Congrats on Princeton. Neither I nor any of my kids, who also went to Dartmouth, got in there. I'm class of 1980 and am 57. Be nice to meet you some time, although I've lately gotten into rafting (with a new 12 Sotar) and am transitioning out of kayaking. I helped with the Pikes Peak WW club beginners class runs last year on the Ark and So. Platte and came over to the BV play park (where I was pretty much an eddy flower watching all of the incredible talent). I have a playboat, but it's wasted on me.

- Jon Snider

·
Registered
9 Posts
Anyone running the numbers on the 16th and 17th? Im driving up from Phoenix, and my lady doesnt paddle when its this cold. Ran it a few times last year so just looking for some folks to run with

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice everyone. It was phenomenal for February. Felt more like an April run than a February run!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
384 Posts
Fixedgear: I'd get on it on Wednesday the 18th with ya. Those 2 days are going to be a bit of a cold snap, but then it will warm up again.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Most all access points are good and flows are high enough to make everything a go. The steep slope down to the rio at Stealth was glazed and difficult this weekend and the road into 4 may be impassable without high clearance 4wd.

·
Registered
63 Posts
No, I am a Illinois native , 28 yr Leadvillite, only 6 years of river paddling don't think we've met, unfortunately my day is turning into more ,making a living than living, don't believe I'm gonna make it today

1 - 16 of 16 Posts