Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a opportunity to buy a used NRS Scout 14ft for $1100:?. It has a few small patches on the floor. Looks like it is in ok shape. Just curious if anyone has one or could give me some advice?

Anything particular that I should look out for?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Spray it down with soapy water to check for leaks on the rubber, seams and valves. Check for blown baffles by blowing up each chamber. Blow up the floor to check for any blown I beams. Look at the condition of the d rings and quality of the patches. Those are the big things anyway.

More importantly, don't sit around here twiddling your thumbs too long. Cheap decent rubber goes fast.

Good luck.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Thats a good boat. Better quality than the new Otter series but it was sold cheaper than the expedition series (thinner material I think). If it is an old outfitter boat in decent condition that sounds like a fair price. If it is a lightly used good condition privately owned boat it would probably be worth at least 2000 (IMO).

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I have a opportunity to buy a used NRS Scout 14ft for $1100:?. It has a few small patches on the floor. Looks like it is in ok shape. Just curious if anyone has one or could give me some advice?

Anything particular that I should look out for?
I agree with others... if it's in at least fair shape that :? should turn to a :) if not a :-D.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a 1986 Scout that is reaching the end of its life. It had no leaks until this year when it developed its first pinhole between the floor and the tubes. The rubber is starting to wear out and breakdown and I've had to start adding preventive patches where its showing fabric. For a 28 year old boat, its held up extremely well. If the rubber is rough when you rub a towel across it, the paint/rubber is starting to breakdown and flake up. If its smooth and only has a few patches, I would say buy it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I bought a scout from roughly the same time period for my brother. Some things to check based on his boat:

1. Check the seam tape. My Bros was badly frayed in a few places, we cut the frayed pieces off and replaced some of it for a few dollars in materials/glue.
2. The rubber is significantly thinned in places. This makes abrasion a much bigger danger. We patched over a few places as a precaution with some Hypalon.
3. The laces in the floor were rotting and had to be replaced. It wasn't' bad, but I wasn't comfortable with the decreased strength in the materials.

Total cost to get the boat river ready was about $60-70 bucks (discluding glue, which I already had).

Side note, the material used on the bottom of the boat is very thick and strong, It seems like the same material used on the E series.

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,530 Posts
You should probably pass on it and give me the guys number!!

In all seriousness, that year scout was and is a great boat and as long as it is in good shape that is a steal. The scout was part of the sport series and was built up with the exact same materials and construction as the expedition boats up until the full bottom chafer and rub strake were added. These were left out to cut down on price, labor, weight and make the boat super rollable. I have a 2003 12'6 sport series and it is my favorite boat.

I have been looking for the 14' version for years and they dont come around. If you decide to pass on it please let me know.

·
Super Moderator
4,227 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
I own a 14' scout and love it! That is a good price as they retailed around $3500 new. If it is only showing normal wear, and the few small patches don't bother you, I would buy it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
THANKS!

You guys are awesome. THANK you so much!!! If all goes well I should be on the new (new to me) boat this weekend for a 3 night 4 day float. Thanks you for all the tips of how to check the boat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts