Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lovely 2004 NRS E-140's "yellow" rub strake is a little faded and I was hoping to clean 'er up. I have found that some 180 grit will do a decent job but removes the top layer. I was thinking of acetone and a scotch brite scrubber. Does anyone have any other good ways to clean this strip up to the original color and so I can satisfy my vain (OCD) boating compulsion.

Thanks for all your input.

Pinned

·
Registered
659 Posts
Try SoftScrub, in the laundry aisle of your local supermarket. Wet the strake first, apply with a green meanie rubbing pad, it should work. After you get it clean, riinse well and let dry, then apply 303.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Magic eraser is gonna be the most gentle

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. I want to keep it gentle so I think some mild abrasive and elbow grease is in order.

:D

·
Registered
18 Posts
I sprayed my 1999 cat tubes with 303 and buffed it with a foam automotive buffing pad on a cordless drill. It cleaned up nicely and brought out the original color. Use a variable speed drill and adjust speed and pressure to reduce splatter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yep. The foam pad was white (now it's blue) but it had a flat surface, not the dimpled pad I used for buffing paint. Not sure it matters too much. I know it took a lot of 303, but saved a lot of labor.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The tubes were very faded, almost like oxidized paint on a vehicle. I didn't try to get a glossy finish, ended up with more of a satin finish. I suppose if I had gone over it again, it may have glossed up, but I was happy to see the original blue color return. The following year (this year) there was some subtle unevenness in the color, but no swirl marks. I plan on doing it again this winter/spring since I didn't follow up with a 303 wipe down last fall. It really soaked up the 303 when I buffed it and I was too cheap to buy another bottle. The top and bottom black rub surfaces did shine up, but they were not faded either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts