Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone who has owned an otter feel the lack of extra abrasion resistance on the otter has been a liability... particularly on boney rivers?

I know the E series is better, and I'd prefer an E series but might have a line on a good deal on an otter. I run shallow rivers a fair amount and the floor on my RMR has held up to it beautifully, but I need to fold my rafts so want to replace it with hypalon... but I'm concerned with the Otter floor.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have an Otter 130. The first few years I owned it, I was super careful, beached gently, didn't drag on rocks, etc. Then I dropped over a nice grabby rock that I wasn't paying enough attention to miss, thought I absolutely tore my floor. Got it upside down a couple minutes later, barely a scuff. I've drug it over rocks, gravel, even my driveway once or twice, no worse for wear. If you're running 100+ days a year, an E-series is probably worth it, but otherwise I wouldn't have any worries about an Otter floor, any more so than on any other raft. My 2cents.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I took my 140 on an extremely low flow Middle Fork Salmon trip last year, where I was constantly running it over rough and often sharp rock. After inspecting the floor it didn't show any wear or even scuffing. Its pretty bomber, even without the extra chafing layer of the e series.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts