Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NRS no longer welds the seat mounting plate to the cross bar but instead uses a cast piece of aluminum and 2 ubolts.
NRS says that their testing shows that it is more resistant to rotating under torque than the welded mount.

Anyone have any time sitting in one of these new seat mounts? With a high back seat I'm sure that this connection see's some serious ft lb loads applied to it, and if it is similar in strength to the oar tower connection... well than it is pretty weak as far as resisting rotation.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I've used the old mount - AL plate with a little channel and two u bolts. I've never had a problem with that rotating and I'd be hard pressed to believe that this new one wouildn't be even better. But I don't have direct experience with the new version.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Like elkHaven, I have only used the older style but I had a high back seat mounted on one on one of my Whitewater frames and put massive torque on it and never had a problem, but I only used it for one season

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I really like all of these new forged parts that NRS is developing including this new seat Mount. I have looked at it closely and one thing I've noticed is that the inside of the bar mounts have little ribs similar to the new lopros. In theory this will give it exceptional grip and I personally would trust it even better than the old style which I trusted.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I was glad when NRS went to the universal seat mount. It allowed me to exchange bad seats for good seats. Make sure you tighten the seat mount to the crossbar as tight as you can. If the seat moves, or rotates on the cross bar, you have to remove the seat from the mount to get to the bolts that tighten the mount to the bar.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
https://www.surpluscenter.com/shop.axd/Search?keywords=mower+seats

Has the light gray Milsco drain Hole seat 11.5 x 11.5 pattern requires a 12.5x12.5 plate flange. this does not fit the aforementioned flange so alternates are req'd. Made in the USA seat, Respectable value
Thanks Gary, I've looked for non black or yellow tractor seats for some time and never found them with drains.

It must feel nice to actually post something useful!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Misspellingintothefuture!
1,901 Posts
Got too love the gray mower seat with drain for $50 instead of $110 for NRS high back, looks the same minus mounting pattern! Good link Gary.

One option I have used is to just build myself a seat board out of plywood, rip a 2x4 down the middle for some extra rigidity along the edges. Spent about $30 tops on my last one, at small mountain town prices.
If you are decent at carpentry, you can build one to fit any bolt pattern you want. Plus you get a flat spot to set your beer, and have the option to use it as a flip seat over a cooler, or over a drop bag where it will keep the contents from coming out if you flip. Is heavier though, and won't last as long as aluminum.

·
Shapp
1,871 Posts
One thing I don not like about the new NRS seat bracket is that it is no longer a flat plate, so you can't really drill a different pattern for some other seat that doesn't fit the stock holes. For the old seat bracket, it was just a bigger flat aluminum plate, really easy to drill any other hole pattern into. Of course you could a plate on top of the new seat bracket to accomplish the same thing, but that is more work and more materials.

·
Shapp
1,871 Posts
And NRS didn't fix the flaw in the old design through the new design process, which is on the old and new design, you still have to take the dang seat off to adjust the ubolts that hold the bracket to the cross bar. Whey the heck didn't they make a new design that allows one to adjust the seat bracket location, take it off or on, etc. without having to remove the seat from the bracket?

·
Misspellingintothefuture!
1,901 Posts
I like boating gear you can customize, partly why I like my NRS frames, They are like an erector set, allowing for my ******* engineering and creativity.

Nothing, absolute nothing, is as good as messing about with boats!

·
Registered
649 Posts
I have been running the old adjustable mount for a long time. If you tighten them up they will not rotate. The new mount resists rotation even better. They have two sets of holes. One for NRS seats and the other is for a swivel mount that is like 6.5 inches. The mount is great in that you can take it off and you have a plain cross bar. If I am going out for a day run I throw it on with a seat. If I am going out for multi day take it off throw on one more cross bar and you have a place for cool or dry box that just became your seat.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
And NRS didn't fix the flaw in the old design through the new design process, which is on the old and new design, you still have to take the dang seat off to adjust the ubolts that hold the bracket to the cross bar. Whey the heck didn't they make a new design that allows one to adjust the seat bracket location, take it off or on, etc. without having to remove the seat from the bracket?
I was just checking that out and NRS would have to ditch their ubiquitous u-bolts to accomplish the adjustment without seat removal concept. I don't think it would be too hard, but they'd have to adapt a secondary flange underneath each mounting point. So, more cast parts. I can see why they didn't, as most folks that use their gear set it once and leave it... but for those of us that like to tinker, or push things to their limit to find the failure point it would be nice to be able to adjust from below.

Edit, I removed my smart ass comments referring to gary paranoia and NRS... sorry I need to act my age on occassion....

·
Registered
446 Posts
One thing I don not like about the new NRS seat bracket is that it is no longer a flat plate, so you can't really drill a different pattern for some other seat that doesn't fit the stock holes. For the old seat bracket, it was just a bigger flat aluminum plate, really easy to drill any other hole pattern into. Of course you could a plate on top of the new seat bracket to accomplish the same thing, but that is more work and more materials.
Go buy a flat plate, some u bolts and go to town!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts