Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm suiting up for a March 20-April 7 Grand Canyon trip, and am debating my layers. I have dibs on a drysuit, own nice NRS splash pants and splash top, but am also looking at purchasing either a pair of NRS Hydroskin (neoprene) leggings or a pair of NRS "H2Core" leggings (which seem to resemble a pair of long undies).

My thoughts are that there will be days on this trip when I'm in the drysuit all day, and plan on wearing either fleece or a regular pair of long underwear underneath. But there will [hopefully] be days I don't need to be caged in a drysuit and can get away with just splash pants or a pair of leggings with board shorts --- I'm having a hard time deciding, solely based on the videos and product descriptions on NRS.com, for the latter. Who all out there has Hydroskin or H2Core pants/leggings? The only conclusion I've come to so far is that the 1.5 mm Hydroskin is probably overkill...thoughts? Lemme know! Insight or anecdotes are appreciated.

·
Registered
97 Posts
That really is a great question. The weather could be variable then. Two years ago I launched on March 18, and by the time we exited the Muav Gorge, thermal protection wasn't really necessary. Full disclosure, I did wear a dry suit in Lava Falls anyway.

We put on March 8 this year, and I have basically the same set up as 2 years ago. I have dry pants and a dry top that I will wear, likely more than 2 years ago since we have an earlier launch date along with potentially cooler temps.

Frankly, I would say wear the drysuit on big water days, and be comfortable otherwise. The 1.5mm seems a bit overkill, why not just wear your drysuit? I don't like spending money if I don't need to, so I will either be in the dry suit or in just shorts, and a shirt if the weather is nice.

I guess what I am saying is you probably don't need either of them. I would guess by the first of April you will not need the drysuit except on big water days where a swim is likely. Just my thoughts, YMMV.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hi

I am not a fan of hydoskin ....it moves great with you....but......it takes forever to dry....does not let your skin breath

I suggest a mid to heavy weight merino wool tight-long johns. ...drys fast ....no odor. ....works well in dry suit, under splash pants, and just under shorts.

scott

1 - 4 of 4 Posts