Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you hat have NRS frames, is the frame wrench a useful tool? It looks like it would be handy to throw in a captains bag/box instead of having separate tools for each job. It is reasonably cheap, so I don't think it would be a big loss if I bought it and didn't like it. I just wanted to see what you guys/gals think of it.

·
Banned
162 Posts
For those of you hat have NRS frames, is the frame wrench a useful tool? It looks like it would be handy to throw in a captains bag/box instead of having separate tools for each job. It is reasonably cheap, so I don't think it would be a big loss if I bought it and didn't like it. I just wanted to see what you guys/gals think of it.
I just had to loan a socket set to someone who had one, it is on par with the rest of NRS Chinese stuff it stripped and split first time he used it. I would find a socket and use that

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just had to loan a socket set to someone who had one, it is on par with the rest of NRS Chinese stuff it stripped and split first time he used it. I would find a socket and use that
Thanks! It is really hard to gauge the quality of products with NRS. Some of their gear is high quality, and some of it is shit. With most companies, you have a consistency. All there stuff is quality, or all of it is shit. But when you mix were your products are made, there is a uncomfortable inconsistency for the consumer.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I don't remember when I got my frame and wrench, some time over 20 years ago, never had an issue. I don't use it much anyway. Socket is reasonable solution, but it's one ratchet with just one socket, I don't have a stack of them around so not nearly as convenient as the NRA wrench in that respect. Get the nrs wrench.

·
Registered
796 Posts
While I think it's a good tool to have, I've snapped a couple of them. Too much torque on the handle/flat screw driver and it will separate from the socket/phillips side and it's not repairable.

I keep one in my repair kit just in case but I'll have a socket wrench too. I use an impact driver at home.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I threw the one I had away. kinda worthless compared to the torque you can generate with even a 1/4" drive. Get a socket that is 6 point so it won't damage the heads of bolts ...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've been using a socket for 20 years, it lives in my repair kit, never use that one for anything else. These days I change up my frames constantly because I have 3 cat tube sizes and only 2 frames, and I'm always adding/modifying gear. Sometimes seems I'm customizing my frame for each trip. Can't imagine not using a ratchet.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Didn't even know NRS had a frame wrench. I use a socket wrench.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have one and find it useful for sure. I also carry some other tools but I like the multi tool design of the NRS wrench. It doesn't feel like a janky tool to me. Mines been with me for maybe 8 years.

Jim

·
Registered
525 Posts
I made my own 'tool' by drilling a hole through a 12 point socket and slipping an allen wrench in to form a Tee handle. The socket and hex key are sized to fit the bolts and set screws on my hybrid LowPro & SpeedRail frame. (1/2" socket & 3/16" hex key) I put it on a loop of para cord and clip it under the captains seat. Total cost is about $6.

·
I'm right 50% of the time
899 Posts
Easy and cheap way: get a 1/2 inch square piece of steel aprox 8 to 10 in long. Bend at a 90 in a vice or at machine shop. Weld on a 1/2 in sized socket from the thift / junk store. Paint it you color. Keep in captains bag / box or repair kit.

I broke an NRS one (not mine) and did have good luck welding the socket back to the rest of the unit.

·
Registered
166 Posts
A quality ratchet is FAR more reliable, quick, and easier to torque down. Same goes for a screwdriver compared to the NRS tool. Personally, I don't see any reason to bother with it.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
A quality ratchet is FAR more reliable, quick, and easier to torque down. Same goes for a screwdriver compared to the NRS tool. Personally, I don't see any reason to bother with it.

Dito ^^^^

Mine broke years ago, the first time I used it. I also have dedicated tools, ratchets, drivers, etc. If I'm doing a lot of frame work I use an impact driver... with a 1/2" deep well, fastest way to adjust a frame and my cheap hitachi driver won't over torque the bolts...

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Will count myself lucky that the frame tool they sent me has held up since 2007. It works well for me and I have never needed extra torque to keep the u-bolts in place. But hard to recommend a product others seem to have so many problems using.

Phillip

·
Registered
506 Posts
Sounds like the quality has gone down since I got mine. I also use an impact wrench at home it made building my frame way more enjoyable. One of the things I like about the NRS tool is it has the two screwdrivers.

Jim

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
my guess is they don't really care about QC of a wrench they give away and it's hit or miss. Plus in my case I tend to overtorque everything anyways so it was probably as much OE as poor products. I just find a ratchet much more convenient and so that's what I've stuck with in my kit, but nowadays I pretty much always use my impact...yep I'm lazy.

·
Registered
166 Posts
my guess is they don't really care about QC of a wrench they give away and it's hit or miss. Plus in my case I tend to overtorque everything anyways so it was probably as much OE as poor products. I just find a ratchet much more convenient and so that's what I've stuck with in my kit, but nowadays I pretty much always use my impact...yep I'm lazy.
Me too. A little 20v lithium ion Dewalt impact driver makes quick work of it. It is so light and small that I often just take it with me if I'm not pressed for space. I also keep a ratchet, box end wrench, philips screwdriver, and a slotted screw driver. The thing I hate the most about the NRS one is when you use it on your oar towers, you have to pull it off the nut and put it back with each crank because the oar tower gets in the way. The ratchet is so much faster.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts