Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that NRS suits run larger than the website says; anyone have experience with that. I am 5'10" and about 165 lbs.

I realize that a Goretex Kokatat would probably be better but I am a rafter and would like to save some money.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
i used a large and im about the same demensions, i have long legs short torso... i would go with kokatat cause the nrs warranty is not so hot.. and its a chinese death trap...
had my zipper fail in the box so we gorilla taped it back together used the lighter to seal the tape. I was a little sketched to say the least because we just ran Calander Falls and had a bunch of whitewater to go..

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Have you thought about a Kokatat Super Nova semi-dry suit? I'm a rafter and thats what I use. The cheapest NRS drysuit runs about $600. The Kokatat Super Nova is $489.
Check out kayakacademy.com They are super nice & knowledgable folks. I'd give them a call.
KJ

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have heard that NRS suits run larger than the website says; anyone have experience with that. I am 5'10" and about 165 lbs.

I realize that a Goretex Kokatat would probably be better but I am a rafter and would like to save some money.

Thanks for the help.

I just picked up an OS systems drysuits for a good deal. They seem to be very nice for the money. I didn't want the chinese either, this one is made in oregon

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
The NRS in the swap section is $400 and is a large. That's got to be better that $800 or a suit with a neoprene collar for $500.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I wear an XL in Kokatat and a XXL in NRS. The NRS is only slightly bigger than the Kokatat, not the difference you would expect for a full size difference. I think the biggest part of the difference is in girth. I'm a skinny guy and need the height, not width.

·
Registered
112 Posts
As a side note, I'm selling the NRS, but haven't gotten around to putting up ads. It's the Extreme Relief model. Three years old but you have to look close to see any signs of use. PM me if you want to talk.

·
Registered
38 Posts
In the long run you'll spend more. It's like buying a tire that is not rated well but is super cheap. You save money now but will need to buy again if you want to be safe. Hell there is a good chance the NRS will leak on day one of use. I say buy anything else even if its used.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Anyone with experience using drypants and a drytop together as an alternative to full drysuit? Seems to me there would be some flexibility of use, and relief zip issue partly resolved.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The Extreme Relief from NRS

I got one in 2008, at a real attractive price.

In 2010, I was getting damp, I sent it back and they sent me a new one.

Sent that one back in December because I was getting wet inside again, and waited for the replacement which was on backorder. Delivery is scheduled for today.

So, the service/warranty seem to be just fine.

Even being damp inside in December, everyone but me complained about being cold; I was the only one in a drysuit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I got one in 2008, at a real attractive price.

In 2010, I was getting damp, I sent it back and they sent me a new one.

Sent that one back in December because I was getting wet inside again, and waited for the replacement which was on backorder. Delivery is scheduled for today.

So, the service/warranty seem to be just fine.

Even being damp inside in December, everyone but me complained about being cold; I was the only one in a drysuit.
Thats cool you got it replaced but your gonna get wet in the new one too. I had a NRS top the Triton and I was getting damp so I asked them to replace it. They wanted me to purchase at a discount their eVent top and I said hell no! They called me back and said they would send the eVent top for free so I said yes. After one mile of river I was soaked. I sent it back and got my money. I agree that they do have decent service there at NRS but who cares when their shit sucks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Anyone with experience using drypants and a drytop together as an alternative to full drysuit? Seems to me there would be some flexibility of use, and relief zip issue partly resolved.
Before last year I used my rogue top with the gore tex bibs. great combo. The down side is rolling your top and the bibs together but your skirt seals better keeping water outa the boat.

·
River Gypsy
255 Posts
I'm not sure what the other poster is doing to his gear to make it leak, but my experience with NRS has not been the same.

I am wearing an NRS drysuit this winter that I've worn 10 times or more now, and it's bone dry. Still putting my paddling layers on at home under my clothes, driving to the river, putting on the suit, then leaving the [still dry] layers on under my clothes for the drive home. I'm not even getting a little bit damp.

My NRS drytop is similarly dry except I have more days on it than I do on the suit.

Maybe they're sending the other guy leaky ones on purpose because he's an asshole?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have just started looking for a drysuit. I have a kokatat goretex splash top that I really like but I seem to get a hole in it every time I go to the river. I live in AZ so there are thorns on everything. I would like to stick with kokatat but I don't want to spend $1000 on something that I have to send in to get patched every time I go to the river. They have one for under 500 but it is "semi-dry"??? Does anyone have one and can comment?
Thx,
Dave

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I have the Kokatat Super Nova semi-dry suit, and like it. I think I would go nuts with a latex neck gasket. I'm a rafter, not a paddler, so my level of water exposure isn't quite the same. I use this suit mostly for spring & fall rafting, so it hasn't seen the amount of use as a kayaker who is in their suit all the time. So far it's been a sturdy, reasonably comfortable suit that fits my needs.
KJ

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm 6'2", 175#. The NRS size Large fits me fine height-wise; a little large in the waist/torso. My coworker and I have identical NRS drysuits and they both seep water from the relief zipper. My chest and legs stay dry, but my crotch is always wet (insert joke here). Go with the Kokatat.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Which NRS models are you folks using?

Like I said, mine is the Extreme Relief.

So Leland has one good and dry (the reason we all want a drysuit), and Windwillows and partner have ones that are less than that.

But I'm still curious which models everyone is using, especially since there's apparently a good chance of difference in performance.

And Windwillows, what is the age/usage of yours, and have you discussed with NRS? Like I mentioned before, they shipped me replacements both times, no questions asked. Might be worth a phone call to NRS or the dealer from whom you bought.

I will see dsmoake's this weekend.He got the NRS Mission.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts