Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone ever strapped an nrs counter table between cross bars? Do you think it will work as a front seat or does it need to go on top of the bars?

I am building out a nrs frame. The front bay will be 18” between cross bars and I am looking to put a 18”x68” nrs counter table between the bars so the table top is flat to the top of the tube. My rails are 70” apart and the bolts won’t interfere with the table because the table is curved in the corner.
My main concern is if it will structurally be strong enough for standing on /sitting and if you think the table will actually stay flat between the bars vs dropping below. I just haven’t lashed anything like that before. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
568 Posts
70 inches is a pretty fair span - no, you're not going to be able to sit/stand on it without bending significantly.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
What B4otter said, they are strong as tables go, but that's asking a lot, and once you bend it, the legs will never latch in properly again. Perhaps make something to support it in the center? Weld tabs inside the bay crossbars to support the center ? Just a thought.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What B4otter said, they are strong as tables go, but that's asking a lot, and once you bend it, the legs will never latch in properly again. Perhaps make something to support it in the center? Weld tabs inside the bay crossbars to support the center ? Just a thought.
Thank you for the feedback. On that thought- there will be nrs 1” straps supporting it on the end to the rails and then 2 more on each side to the cross bars. So it will be picked up. Will welding to the bar a tab to hold it much diff than having 1” nrs straps holding it?
The straps go through the table frame.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the feedback. On that thought- there will be nrs 1” straps supporting it on the end to the rails and then 2 more on each side to the cross bars. So it will be picked up. Will welding to the bar a tab to hold it much diff than having 1” nrs straps holding it?
The straps go through the table frame.
Around the table frame

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
You could also span the bay with a strap at the center, or at the quarter points...then the straps are taking the weight of the people sitting on it, not the table...but this puts a LOT of bending stress on the bars.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone! I gave nrs a call and they confirmed that having 4 contact point to the 70” bars and 2 on the ends to the rails will be no problem. The bars and table won’t bend!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Guess I don't see what the advantage would be vs sitting the table on top, that's how I do my table. Also seems like setting in between the bars could create pinch points when the table moves a bit. If I wanted it to fit like that something like a DRE table with the frame in and table top over style would work much better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guess I don't see what the advantage would be vs sitting the table on top, that's how I do my table. Also seems like setting in between the bars could create pinch points when the table moves a bit. If I wanted it to fit like that something like a DRE table with the frame in and table top over style would work much better.
i agree a DRE table would be best but way more money to do so and custom orders with them are now into august. the reason to have it 1.5" lower was simply for the comfort of the front person. sometimes when i day trip in larger water I will bring a couple paddlers put them in the front. get them wet and have them contribute. by having it lower it would mean a smaller distance between the flat tube and the top of the front seat (instead of 3" it would be 1.5"). but maybe it doenst matter.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I, personally, have a similar set up in my front bay, as the table isn't quite as big as I would like widthwise compared to the size of the bay (it alternates with a dry box)- anyway, I put a piece of 3/4" plywood that I routered and spray painted as the actual bay cover- it does a couple of things for me
-makes a much more stable platform that is still there for walking across my frame/lounging when the table is in the kitchen.
-i can still sleep 2 on my boat with the spare platform
-it was a really cheap solution, and I just strap the table down on top of it, with a paco pad across it all- passenger comfort, safe table.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We do make 2 standard tables as well. We should have some stock of these during the season. The table framing provides all the support needed.
66" Standard table
74" standard table
I got a DRE 74" and place it between the bars/lopros on my NRS frame. It's a bomber table so no need for any support. While spendy, cry once, buy once. I had a ER doc on my last trip and he really liked it because the poly top is easy to sterilize. Admittedly, it can be hard to get it balanced on uneven or sloped surfaces; the legs ends are capped and you can't push them into the sand (need to get creative with little rocks piled up under one or two legs). Fyi I highly recommend using loop straps in general for strapping tables, coolers, dry boxes. You are much less likely to loose an end or buckle into the depths below.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Might get in touch with SDG River Gear if you are interested in custom size tables for your application. They've got a system where two tables take up about as much space one, plus they are all aluminum.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts