Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone happen to know if the wire basket for the 123 would fit in the 146?

·
Sponsoring Vendors
271 Posts
The front to back measurement on the lip that holds the wire basket is 14 1/8" on the 123qrt. I believe that is the same on the 146qrts. We do have the baskets in stock and Engel will be part of our 12 Days of Raftivus Sale. They will be 25% off for one day.

Engel - Coolers

·
Registered
429 Posts
same measurement

I just measured inside my 146, and it is the same 14 1/8" +/- width noted for the 123. Thanks for the tip, I had no idea that the Engels and NRS Big Sky (may they rest in peace) were basically the same cooler, other than the better latches on the NRS. I will have to get me one of those baskets, along with a spare drain plug and latches that they still have at NRS (currently 20% off). I'm bummed I missed out on a replacement gasket while they still had them.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just measured inside my 146, and it is the same 14 1/8" +/- width noted for the 123. Thanks for the tip, I had no idea that the Engels and NRS Big Sky (may they rest in peace) were basically the same cooler, other than the better latches on the NRS. I will have to get me one of those baskets, along with a spare drain plug and latches that they still have at NRS (currently 20% off). I'm bummed I missed out on a replacement gasket while they still had them.
So I assume that even with the extra width from the 123 to the 146 that only two of those baskets will fit across?

Yea - as soon as I heard about them discontinuing the cooler I ordered a seal, latches and a drain plug.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just did a search and I don't think they have them at NRS (the baskets that is).

·
Registered
429 Posts
NRS Big Sky 146

Read n Run - Here is a photo of my NRS 146 with the cable tie down hole enlarged to accept a 1" cam strap to use as a tie down. The Engel version of this cooler uses a similar setup for either a turnbuckle or a cam strap. Why NRS didn't do that with theirs I have no idea, but it is a simple modification with a jig saw and a file.

I have a Recretec frame with a cross member in just the right spot to strap down to. I usually run straps over the top to secure it in the boat in case of inversion, but this will make access into the cooler much easier as nothing will need to be unstrapped. Best of both worlds since NRS has much better latches than the Engel.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
here is the modified attachment point.
Interesting. I have cooler hangers (NRS) that the cooler hangs from off the rails. I could definitely do this but during really hairy stuff I think I might like having that strap OVER the cooler.

Still, I'd be willing to rely on the 3 butterfly latches to keep the top on probably even during a nasty flip. I'll have to take a look at this. Could be worth giving it a shot.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Interesting. I have cooler hangers (NRS) that the cooler hangs from off the rails. I could definitely do this but during really hairy stuff I think I might like having that strap OVER the cooler.

Still, I'd be willing to rely on the 3 butterfly latches to keep the top on probably even during a nasty flip. I'll have to take a look at this. Could be worth giving it a shot.
I have sling straps that the cooler rests on in the bay, but it actually wedges down into the frame cross members at just the right height. A somewhat fortunate happenstance as I wasn't able to test fit the cooler before I bought it and was going off estimates of the taper angle that NRS provided. I won't be getting rid of the straps over the top, but will only feel a real need to use them when I'm running big stuff where the chances of a flip are significant.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I ordered a Yeti cooler basket for my 65qt NRS big sky cooler and the fit is perfect. I believe all the NRS coolers have the exact same inside dimensions as the Yetis.

·
Registered
429 Posts
yes, it does

Anyone happen to know if the wire basket for the 123 would fit in the 146?
Basket for Engel 123 Just arrived from Florida this afternoon via fedex. It was slightly narrower than the support shelf in the NRS 146, but the wire support brackets on the basken can be easily bent by hand just a small amount outward to make a solid fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Basket for Engel 123 Just arrived from Florida this afternoon via fedex. It was slightly narrower than the support shelf in the NRS 146, but the wire support brackets on the basken can be easily bent by hand just a small amount outward to make a solid fit.
I just fit mine to my cooler and noticed the same issue. I was going to build something to make it wider but I'll give it a bend and see how that works.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have two extra NRS Big Sky 123 gaskets if anyone is interested. Still in the sealed box they were shipped to me in.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
2 Posts
How has the Engel 123 basket held up in your 146 Big Sky? I also have a Big Sky and was wanting a basket for it. If yours has held up and worked well, I will get one. Thanks!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How has the Engel 123 basket held up in your 146 Big Sky? I also have a Big Sky and was wanting a basket for it. If yours has held up and worked well, I will get one. Thanks!
Great. Just bent the rails out a touch and it worked like a charm.

·
Registered
429 Posts
It has held up just fine. Like I noted earlier, it is slightly too narrow for the cooler, so you'll need to bend the support wires out just a little bit for it to fit perfect. It also fits better towards either end of the cooler, which are narrower than the middle section.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts