Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had problems with nrs barrel pumps? I have 2, both with problems, while the carlson pump I've had easily twice as long as the nrs pumps is still working good as the day we picked it up. Did I just happen to get 2 crappy pumps?

·
Registered
111 Posts
How old is your NRS pump? What sort of problem are you having? Mine never had any problems. I have the one that was made In Italy instead of china. I am not sure if that would make any difference, but it's been bomb proof. My kid have used it even as a water gun. :)

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
My barrel pump needed re-gluing. I dont think the elbow is supposed to spin but it puts most of the air into the boat

Rock Solid Guarantee!!! My buddy is on his second river wing. Just keep exchanging for new.

·
Registered
106 Posts
the only issue i have had with mine is where the hose connects to the pump... it comes off some times but i can just push it back on the fitting and its good to go

·
Registered
457 Posts
In our group we have three they all have had problems: blown gaskets broken hoses broken ball valves they sound like dieing seals. We have to bring them all on every trip because you never know which one is going to crap out.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
In our group we have three they all have had problems: blown gaskets broken hoses broken ball valves they sound like dieing seals. We have to bring them all on every trip because you never know which one is going to crap out.
Sounds like someone need to take care of their stuff? My NRS pump has no gaskets or ball valve what-so-ever. Just one rubber o-ring that needs lubed up a couple times a year. The hose coming off the NRS pump is no different that what other white pumps are using.

I have had mine for 5 years and my only bitch is that it sun fades. Other pumps that are white seem to battle the sun better. 303 is my friend.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Sounds like someone need to take care of their stuff? My NRS pump has no gaskets or ball valve what-so-ever. Just one rubber o-ring that needs lubed up a couple times a year. The hose coming off the NRS pump is no different that what other white pumps are using.

I have had mine for 5 years and my only bitch is that it sun fades. Other pumps that are white seem to battle the sun better. 303 is my friend.
I think they added a check valve at one point. Maybe for use with valves that don't have one built in? Either way the Nrs guy told me the elbow at the end is supposed to be rigid and keep the hose facing up. Mine swivels and loses air at this point

·
Registered
66 Posts
You are not alone. After trying out several NRS pumps over the years I would only purchase a Carlson. Yes, Carlsons have issues too, but in my experience much less than NRS pumps.

·
Registered
185 Posts
As a commercial guide for a long time, I have seen and used many hand pumps. I agree that the NRS ones seem to have the most problems and that the Carlson are far superior. I would like tom give a shout out to the DownRiver pumps as I have used those for a very long time without any issues and they are a little cheaper than the Carlson.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I take very good care of my equipment but life on the river is tuff. The pump gets used a lot maybe dirtbagkayaker should get out more. The nice thing about nrs is that they are quick to send me free replacement parts so I guess having several in the group there will always be two to bring on each trip.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
maybe dirtbagkayaker should get out more. .

Well that's a no brainier. 365 would not be enough! But you can trust that my pump get used as much if not more other than most. I have a leaky old maravia and my pump is usually the only one we bring on trips. ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How old is your NRS pump? What sort of problem are you having? Mine never had any problems. I have the one that was made In Italy instead of china. I am not sure if that would make any difference, but it's been bomb proof. My kid have used it even as a water gun. :)
One is maybe 2 years old, one is brand new. The older one needed a new o-ring, and was just generally hard to use because you'd have to stay in perfect rhythm as you pumped or it wouldn't work. We've used the brand new one for 3 trips now, and on the 2nd trip using the pump pressure would build up and the handle wouldn't go back down. NRS said we needed to make sure it was greased up. These are just our top-off pumps, we're not using them to inflate an entire boat.
We take good care of our stuff and know that you have to stay on top of maintenance. I was just surprised that any product would need work after using it only once or twice. Of course NRS and the dealer we got the pump from took care of everything for us, and didn't hesitate when we told them we'd actually prefer a Carlson. NRS will definitely take care of ya, gotta give them that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts