Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever compare the measurement of this pump's interior diameter to off the shelf schedule 40? Would the piston/gasket work with off the shelf stuff?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, those look good and are perhaps slightly cheaper than others. But I've noticed that most of the key parts, including the piston itself, is available as a replacement for NRS 5" barrel pumps, so you could could have a real head start IF normally available 5" PVC pipe is a decent fit for the piston.

·
Jared
734 Posts
I bought some of the parts from NRS (seals, lid, plunger) and they do fit, but the off the shelf pipe I got wasn't very smooth. I was starting to pursue honing the pipe somehow and then a friend of mine scored a couple Carlson 4" barrel pumps and I abandoned the whole deal. I wish you lived closer, I'd hand the stuff off to you for free.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish you lived closer, I'd hand the stuff off to you for free.
You mean...the 4" Carlsons?

Yeah, in my perusal of this questions the issue of irregularity of schedule 40 has come up a few times, which is something I hadn't considered. If you look at the pump linked earlier in this thread you'll see it uses sort of a flat gasket instead of an O-ring, which I'd think would be better in terms of small irregularities. But I'm guessing.

That fella's 4" looks like a pretty competitive deal to me, at any rate.

·
Jared
734 Posts
You mean...the 4" Carlsons?

Yeah, in my perusal of this questions the issue of irregularity of schedule 40 has come up a few times, which is something I hadn't considered. If you look at the pump linked earlier in this thread you'll see it uses sort of a flat gasket instead of an O-ring, which I'd think would be better in terms of small irregularities. But I'm guessing.

That fella's 4" looks like a pretty competitive deal to me, at any rate.
Yes, a Carlson 4" pump that was at a used gear sale last summer. He bought on for himself and one for me, so then I didn't have much of a reason to pursue the DYI method.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Looks like this guy has figured it out. He does 4 or 6 inch tubes.

Classifieds for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming | ksl.com

We have been using a version of that pump for 3 years of seasonal rental use and they have had a ton of use and they been working just fine. Besides a broken elbow at the hose to pump we have not had a failure. I was not sure the gaskets would last that long but they are still working just fine!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts