Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Looks just like the boat they gave us at asci right when they were introducing the revolution series. Those boats got a bad rap, but it looks like they didn't give up on the design.

We had tons of fun in that little unstable bathtub.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Huh, never heard of the revolution series. I guess the bad rap is why they aren't making them anymore? I had been wondering why they didn't have an R2 boat.

·
Registered
993 Posts
The revolution series failed due to a serious delamination issue, boats were urethane I think. I guess the new boat is the standard nrs material.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Huh, never heard of the revolution series. I guess the bad rap is why they aren't making them anymore? I had been wondering why they didn't have an R2 boat.
The revolution series failed due to a serious delamination issue, boats were urethane I think. I guess the new boat is the standard nrs material.
No K2 that's not it....although they are urethane.

I bought a revo from an NRS warranty shop...they had it as a demo. Right as they got it into the shop a newbie raft guide backed a trailer up into it and put a big tear into the side. He (the warranty guy)and his wife used it for a few months after he repaired it...then he sold it to me for a song, practically new. His wife was kinda upset he sold it as it was her favorite boat....and these people have access to a literal warehouse of Hysides, NRSs, Maravia and Aires....so it said something to me.

The bad rep came from a posting here....and this poster's singular experience (never heard any other issues) was perpetuated by word of mouth for awhile. I kept seeing posts on this site and other paddler's forums to the tune of "I heard of this guy who ripped the floor in his revo on the first day...so don't trust it"

http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f15/nrs-revolution-38691.html

According to my warranty guy he said that NRS told him that the material from their manufacturer had a sudden increase in price which moved it out of the lower price point they wanted to keep it at...that's why they discontinued it. I asked him about any issues like the poster brought up in the above thread. He said the only issue is *IF* it does puncture, the tear tends to run and be a little bigger than hypalon or pvc would. I called NRS with these questions and they told me the same thing about the material price going up.

With THAT said...the revo is BY FAR mine and my GF's favorite boat out of 5 rafts I own of different makes and materials (even like more than my Hyside). As far as durability, I can tell you that there is absolutely no issue. That guy ^^^just hit something bad....it was bad luck. There are no delam issue I have ever heard of.

This was proven to me last year (I even posted a thread on it).
http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f41/class-vi-wind-52670.html

The short story: My raft, fully loaded with camp gear, myself and my GF...was lifted off the water by a dust devil and slammed onto shore ontop of several beaver cut sapling stumps 2 to 3 inches in diameter. We could not lift the boat by ourselves back to the water....so we had to drag the boat off of all the sharpness back into the river. I was sure we were going to be losing air. I couldn't believe we didn't have a full puncture with air loss. When we get to the take out I looked at the bottom to asses the damage. I couldn't even tell where it happened. That and another encounter with the splintered end of a tree trunk has proven to me that these boats can handle whatever. The revo is the only boat of mine that HASN'T been punctured...yet it has been through more.

MY experience with the NRS urethane has sold me on urethane boats. Plus I love that the 14ft boat is like 120 lbs....my 14ft Hyside is at least 180.

I wish they still made the revo line and I would KILL for that 10.5 raft to be the revo material. They definitely needed a small R2 bout though.

·
Registered
462 Posts
also have to say...other than the 3 main chambers it doesn't look like a revo design at all. The revos, I'm 99.9% sure were the exact same dimensions as the otters, just in different materials

At the very least they have alot more of a rocker/kick to the tubes than that little boat appears to have.

·
Registered
432 Posts
also have to say...other than the 3 main chambers it doesn't look like a revo design at all. The revos, I'm 99.9% sure were the exact same dimensions as the otters, just in different materials

At the very least they have alot more of a rocker/kick to the tubes than that little boat appears to have.
I believe there was a Revolution Osprey with lotsa curve and kick.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I had a 14' Revolution that was delaminating in three different places. Give NRS credit as they gave me full credit which I used towards an E-140. Just saying...
See thats the first I've heard.

What year was yours? Mine was one of the last runs in 2011. I was worried before I purchased and searched tirelessly for ever to see if I made a bad decision. I've NEVER come across any issues beyond that one floor tear. Even now I can find nothing.

No mine is not one of the Osprey ones Johnovice

·
Registered
60 Posts
Also how quick did it do it?
I bought the Revolution the first year it was released (which I think was 2010?...) and used it heavily for a year before I started to notice the delams. It could have been earlier but they were concentrated in areas that were difficult to see without close inspection. I actually really l liked the boat though. Very light, didn't show normal wear and tear at all and loved the bright orange. Again, NRS had awesome customer service and that experience is a big reason why I continue to buy their products.

·
Registered
21 Posts
NRS 10.5 ft Osprey

Ceiba received the boat we are talking about last week. It is a new demo, they are calling it the Osprey. It is hypalon with three chambers, and is lots of fun.

We hope to put it on the San Juan this year and, of course, a Grand Canyon run. If your in the Flagstaff area and want to try out a great new boat, give us a call!!
928-527-0171

·
Registered
708 Posts
Too bad NRS quit making this particular 10' raft. I think it's an early Otter though the NRS tags only had NRS and not Otter. They've since peeled off. This one was made in 1995 and measures a full 10' bow to stern, 5 1/2 feet wide, fat tubes, four valves plus the self bailing floor with relief valve. Fairly light around 50+ lbs and a blast to row and run as R2/R4.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts