Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Ark's flow was the lowest on record too. Definitely the lowest I have ever seen it, and actually got out and boated on it super low too. Numbers at 63 cfs.... Phil managed to drag ass down it at 50. We need snow.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Ark's flow was the lowest on record too. Definitely the lowest I have ever seen it, and actually got out and boated on it super low too. Numbers at 63 cfs.... Phil managed to drag ass down it at 50. We need snow.
'Cept we weren't dragging ass, we were following the flow and staying fluid. The Miracle Mile lives up to its name even at 50ish cfs. :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
"Breckenridge Ski Resort officials say the low levels are not connected with ongoing snowmaking efforts."

Good article for junkscience.com ... how they can say that taking water out of tributaries in the watershed doesn't affect flow is beyond me, even if they are within their legal right.

reflects a high degree of ignorance if not outright chicanery

·
Registered
104 Posts
What cfs is breck using for snowmaking?
good question, got me thinking...

Breck has 526 acres with snowmaking according to website

accodring to wiki, it takes about 200,000 gallons to cover one acre with a foot of snow. surprisingly little is lost by evaporation, apparently only a couple percent (http://www.ose.state.nm.us/PDF/Publications/Library/TechnicalReports/TechReport-045.PDF) , although a total of 10-15 percent will be lost due to sublimation by spring.

this is about 100,000,000 gallons or 300 acre-feet

assuming they do this in 75 days, this is 4 acre-feet per day or 2 cfs

just an estimate and less than I thought it would be, but still a lot considering they are only letting 2cfs bypass

so, not enough for kayaking, but maybe enough to keep the fish alive in a dry year

1 - 7 of 7 Posts