Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time for me to ditch the nose plugs, how do I get used to the feeling of water rushing in or find a way to block water from getting in without wasting all my air on blowing the water out?

And
I've been eyeing the nomad for a while and am thinking about selling my mamba for a nomad 8.5, I have an older mamba 8.0 that has like 62 G volume so it will just a slight size increase of ~16G to the 8.5... How do the nomads paddle compared to a mamba?

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
1 practice. You will get used to closing off your nostrils and blowing out any water quickly. Some that are predisposed to sinus infections will advocate for continuous use, but I personally only use them for play boating.

2 the Nomad will take more effort to keep straight and steer than the Mamba, but it will ride on top of the water and resurface easier off bigger drops. I personally prefer the planning hull to the displacement hull.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The main thing I don't like about the mamba is how low it sits in the water and have some trouble keeping the bow dry, I love everything else. Sometimes the stern will sink in the backwash of a hole/wave and catch me up.

·
Registered
298 Posts
love my nomad, and I also paddle a burn 3. the nomad favors an aggressive paddle style, it doesn't carve well, so when Im in my nomad I swing her big ass around, point it in the right direction , and bomb everything. it punches holes great and will go thru just about anything. not the most nimble or agile boat by a long shot though.

·
Registered
436 Posts
The big difference I found bet the 2 is that the Nomad is slapped around easier when in bigger wave trains.The mamba holds a line better there. It also surfs much better if that matters to you. The Nomad is easier to roll, at least for me.They both will boof and punch through as well as any other.

·
addict
744 Posts
Noseplugs:
Buy a Nomad and get flipped over less often. Less is more. Sunglasses, ear plugs, nose plugs, elbow pads, pogies, gloves, full face helmet, skull cap. Too many accessories. Focus on the kayaking.

Nomad:
The standard to which most creek boats are compared.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Has anyone used a Tuna and a nomad? Im looking at the Tuna and it looks sweet, also, anyone know where I can demo either of them? im in albuquerque, NM

·
Registered
152 Posts
For the Nomad, your closest dealer is probably CKS in Buena Vista, CO. Not exactly close, but a good excuse to do a weekend on the Ark. Or you could call up the whitewater rafting companies in Taos to see if they happen to have any Nomads around they'd let you try for some $.

For Tuna, good luck finding one in the states. France and Germany, maybe NZ.

Has anyone used a Tuna and a nomad? Im looking at the Tuna and it looks sweet, also, anyone know where I can demo either of them? im in albuquerque, NM

1 - 9 of 9 Posts