Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know any tricks to not getting a nasal flush when rolling. I would love the freedom of not wearing one, but if I get flipped (without one) I instinctively blow air out my nose, leaving me less air in case of a missed first attempt. With a nose plug I can last way longer and with less panic. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
I used nose plugs my first couple seasons, and had the same problem as you, but over time you learn how to close off your nasal passageway fairly well. Now I only wear nose plugs if going to the play hole. Granted, if you get worked you are going to get the nasal douche, but generally it doesn't bother me on a combat roll anymore.... plus it's so much easier to breathe when running tough whitewater when your nose isn't plugged.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Imyers...do you get the pain from the nasal flush once you do it a few times. I have had my nose plug blown off a couple of times, at the play park or getting worked in a hole, and I have a really bad headache for about 1/2 hour after. Will this go away with practice.

·
Registered
592 Posts
It doesn't so much go away, where as you build a tolerance to to it. I haven't boated with nose plugs in almost 6 years, and I only get that level of sinus pain/discomfort after I take a massive beating in something.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Just wear the noseplugs. That's why they were invented. There are circles where noseplugs are not cool. If I'm creeking I'll often forgo the noseplugs, but they're on my helmet and if I think I might get worked in a hole I'm about to drop into I'll pop them on real quick like.

I do think you can train yourself to pressurize your sinuses rather than blow out air, but not sure if it's really worth it. My problem is the nasal douche seems to really irritate my sinuses and I'll wake up at 3am sneezing and sniffling. If it weren't for that I'd probably wear them less. But for playboating it just seems like a sensible thing to wear.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your advice. It is not because I care about looking cool, but I have a latex sensitivity and end up with a very raw nose after a long run, but I don't want to end up with sinus problems either.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My problem is the nasal douche seems to really irritate my sinuses and I'll wake up at 3am sneezing and sniffling. If it weren't for that I'd probably wear them less. But for playboating it just seems like a sensible thing to wear.
This. If I get water up my nose, I'm in for a rough night of pure liquid snot running like a faucet out of my nose. I hate nose plugs but it beats the alternative and I'm pretty used to them at this point.

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
Imyers...do you get the pain from the nasal flush once you do it a few times. I have had my nose plug blown off a couple of times, at the play park or getting worked in a hole, and I have a really bad headache for about 1/2 hour after. Will this go away with practice.
Sure, the pain of cold river water running through your sinuses never goes away...but I personally only get a fraction of the water up my nose that I used to. I think part of it is training myself to pressurize my sinuses, and part of it is just getting used to it.

A 1/2 hour headache and waking up in the middle of the night miserable sound pretty extreme. If it affected me that badly I would probably still wear them all the time too....

It doesn't have anything to do with "looking cool", I simply can breathe better, which allows me to stay more relaxed and to get bigger, deeper breathes before flipping in a combat situation.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Why not keep some sterile saline solution in your shuttle rig if your symptoms are that bad? Whether you forget the plugs or they get yanked off, there's no reason you should have to endure the pain of the freshwater scrubbing beyond the takeout.

For me, what lmyers said. If its easier water or sections, I never wear them. Before difficult sections, I pop them on.
Sometimes I put them partially on (right at the bridge of my nose) Seems easier to let a little oxygen in and with moderate internal pressure keep water out while maintaining a lungful for a recovery.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I suck water though my nose when I'm in the shower to clean my nasal passages. It may be weird to some. but those in the know, know that warm water is easy to pass through the nose and out the mouth and cleans like nothing on this planet. I learned this from my farming days. So, for me sucking H2O in my nose is no big deal. Just start my letting the shower water run on your hands and sniff the steam from the water on your hands. At first start out small. Over time you'll be able to snort water cupped out of your hand and spit it out you mouth. This will make nose plugs a thing of the past! Its a daily nose douche. And healthy too! just saying.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I am trying to shed the nose plugs myself. I want to quit using them because it is easier to breathe without them and I feel that I may be holding my breath through the rapids. Also, I feel that putting them on as I am approaching a rapid is kind of like preparing to fail. As others have mentioned, I have noticed that when I have a combat roll I get hardly any water in my sinuses, but when I roll just to practice or to cool off I get a face full. I grew up surfing and as most other surfers will agree a common "ailment" is having roughly a gallon of water rush out of your nostrils at the most inopportune time. I haven't got it that bad yet from kayaking.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Sure, the pain of cold river water running through your sinuses never goes away....

This is not true! If you get used to passing h2o through your nose, in time cold water will be ako and cause no pain what so ever. Read my previous post on snoting h2o through your nose in the shower. You can condition yourself to the feeling.:p

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmmm...I'm going to try the shower nose flush thing with warm water. In the mean time does any one know of any nose plugs that do not have latex in them?

·
Registered
71 Posts
When I started out, I was on the free-is-almost-too-expensive budget, and made my own out of a thick foam and a coat hanger. That worked pretty well...

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I think your odds of drowning with a PFD on are much higher. :rolleyes:
:lol: For sure.

What I've seen of it, it seems to be more prevalent in the southeast anyway.

Hmmm...I'm going to try the shower nose flush thing with warm water. In the mean time does any one know of any nose plugs that do not have latex in them?
There are the simple stainless steel clips with no pads on them.

·
Renaissance *******
1,347 Posts
I always thought it was bad medicine to enter a rapid with my noseplugs on. It felt like I was expecting to flip or something.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts