Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be in the Ridgway and Norwood area next week for work and was thinking about rafting on Wednesday and / or Thursday (August 11, 12) whilst down there. Reading my guide book, 'Paddling Colorado', nothing is mentioned that's runnable in August... i.e. Season: May- Late June, etc.

So, does anyone have any info on what's still runnable for a day trip in that area? I'm in a 14' raft.

Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Not much...

Uncompahgre from below the Reservoir to billy creek... it's short and III-. You'd be o.k. in the Gunny Gorge, but it'd be bony in a 14' boat. I think the San Miguel will be too low. Drove to T-ride yesterday and it looked too low.
You could make the drive to Westwater...

Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If the rain keep coming than you have a chance of getting on the San Miguel. You will likely need 300cfs and little weight in the boat. We did it last night (400cfs) but we live in the area, BTW the Beaver Creek launch was somewhat washed out & it is closed for an unknown time. The SM is a fickle river that runs part of one day and than not so good for a week or more. This time of year you need a few days of good rain before you have a chance. If you do get lucky & have water, Placerville to caddis is nice though short. Running past Beaver will likely suck due to the irrigation take out that removes ~120cfs before the next launch/take out. Westwater was mentioned, perhaps a Grand Junction float; no permit, no rapids though.
good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts