Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this has been discussed already, but I couldn't find anything on it. If you're new to rafting or are just interested in hours of footage of rafters talking about rafting gear and technique, Northwest Rafting's Gear Garage series on Youtube is absolutely worth your time (link: Gear Garage). I recently bought an oar rig and have found a lot of the videos helpful. For more experienced rafters, some of the videos may be pretty basic, but others get into the weeds on things.

·
Registered
171 Posts
And if you can afford it and or just dont have a mentor, northwest does a class 3 oar clinic trip on the rogue. I did it and it was very very thorough in all aspects of river stuff. From position and posture, reading water from scout and from ass. All manner of making a line from hero to cheat to saftey . Swam a juicy wave train over and over for fun too . Hydrology, geology, safety, rope rescue, flip stuff, and anything you cared to ask about including meal prep , ice strategy, clothes, you name it. They also do a class 4 deal on day runs around hood river and did an experimental class 4 class trip on middle fork salmon. It cost 1300 bucks so not cheap but I feel like I gained so much experience and knowledge I feel like it was a bargain. I'll do the class 4 next year hopefully on the m.f.s but if not I'll go to hood river. It's just fun and its awesome to know you have badass safety set. And I honestly feel like I can run any class 3+ with maybe a 4 or 2 with the right group and be ok lol. They really are dialed and bonus their nice people who have done alot of whitewater. After this plug I deserve a free trip right? Sticker?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Thanks for this!

I have no idea how I didn't know this existed but I'll be going down the rabbit hole on these videos for the next while.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Gear garage helped me get through shelter in place. I’ve been watching them since # 20-30? And streamed most videos twice and have picked up a ton of information. Zach even published a run of mine on the T In one of the Mediocre Video reviews. Much obliged for the knowledge and love for the sport Zach, you’re a dude and a scholar.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Zach is a treasure and a fount of knowledge. I don’t know how he has time for all the media he does - and it’s excellent. I’m sure Northwest is a class river outfit, too. I would’ve enjoyed working for him when I was younger. Great gear, great rivers, great knowledge.

·
Registered
AIRE Jag
10 Posts
As a newer paddler, these videos are invaluable. And the delivery is great. Another big THANK YOU!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts