Mountain Buzz banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,836 Posts
Hardly anyone left who has run Dark Canyon... but the old timers I've known (Fred Eisemann, Jake Luck, Kenny Ross) put it right up there with the drops. The drops at 40k are still fun - at 60k they are terrifying. At 80k you feel "...like a little boy caught doing something you know you shouldn't 'oughta be..."
Some trips, I get that feeling a lot lol rowing wooden dories through Grand canyon, that'll do her!

Excellent summation!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Dark Canyon was apparently biggish, but the old timers used to say that the Big Drops were always the biggest. And most of the lower canyon rapids were largely wave-trains.
Take a look at Mile 86.1:

edited from first try :)

·
Premium Member
1,836 Posts
Ummm, you mean 86.1?

·
Registered
358 Posts
3490 is the minimum elevation needed for power generation without air entering the penstocks. Elevation today 3570.

·
Registered
358 Posts
We did a trip last season with an engineer who worked in water storage and transport and he told us the 5 years they chose to use in determining the viability of the powell project were the 5 wettest years on record in the affected basins.

With municipal and agricultural growth in the west, the demand on the resource seems unrelenting.

I think dead pool is 3300-ish feet.
Dead pool is 3374' . I posted a graphic showing the dam structures an the end of this thread.

·
Premium Member
1,836 Posts
3490 is the minimum elevation needed for power generation without air entering the penstocks. Elevation today 3570.
So, basically 80 feet till there's no reason to keep the dam ? Not that it'll ever go anywhere, but one can hope..

Reactions: BGillespie

·
Registered
358 Posts
Lots of factors in play as the water would drop. Power head pressure loss, cavitation that would effect generation. Once the turbines are no longer running the river outlet works would be the only way to pass water around the dam. They can only pass 15,000 cfs until dead pool is reached. As the level drops less storage is available due to the topography of the canyon but also less surface area exposed to evaporation. It would be interesting to see but not likely in my lifetime.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Regarding earlier comments about Dark Canyon rapid, take a look at the last few seconds of this video w lake at 3566. Small riffle forming.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts