Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the status of the NSV gauge? 380cfs is usually a fun level up there, but there is no way it has that much water in it. I don't recall it being off last year.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
You're looking at the Lyons gauge that is below the confluence. They are releasing ~100 from Buttonrock.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Yes, that is correct below the confluence.

SSV is at about 250 cfs and NSV is just over 100cfs.

The level is perfect for laps on 1 in 5 up on SSV. You could run the rest of the piles of shit, er... rapids too. That junk/run is "in".

The bear hole in lyons is OK at best, a flushy fast surf that only Nathan can get shit done in.

There is a wave just down from the old A hole area that is starting to come in as well. It is much better now with more water, it needs about 400 to come in.

combo 3 feature playpark with an SSV run and you could kill a day. It's gonna be another week or 2 for apple valley and shellys IMO.

·
Registered
774 Posts
There's a chance Apple Valley comes in sooner. Button Rock picked up 1' over the past 24 hours and they haven't changed the release yet, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it come up soon. We're headed down for a lunch session at the Black Bear now.

If anyone wants to run SSV tomorrow evening/late afternoon let me know. It's in for the narrows to 1 in 5 run with 250 cfs.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I hope i didnt sound negative. I was so adrenalinated and stoked when I posted that I just start talking.

SSV is an intense run, I have respect for those that run it.

Going to the bear hole today.

Nathan, Thanks for the new feature!!! I am glad you are out there working hard. I am amazed at how well lyons and both saint vrains have recovered thus far. Keep up the great work! We are looking forward to a nice meadow park as well down the road.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Bob, we're heading up to run SSV this afternoon. Meeting at my office at 4 if you're interested.

The water is up from Friday and the Black Bear is better but still not very retentive. You can surf, spin, and throw ends in the edges. It has pop but is flushy for loops.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Last I checked the Dam road was closed at the top of the hill. You can park and walk your boat down to the river.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
So what's the state of the Lyon's park? Used to be A-hole was pretty good even at low levels. Is that still the case / is it repaired / or is it still messed up?

·
Registered
334 Posts
So what's the state of the Lyon's park? Used to be A-hole was pretty good even at low levels. Is that still the case / is it repaired / or is it still messed up?
The hole upstream of the bridge is better than it was last year, about how it was pre flood. The A hole is pretty messed up, there is just a very small pocket now. I don't think you could do much in there at this level, maybe when the water is a bit higher. The new feature downstream of the A hole still needs some work, at least for this level. There is really not much of a pile on it. It seems like they need to pinch in the top rocks a bit to get the water to funnel more to the center. So over all the Lyons park seems worse than last year at low flows.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Nothing permanent has been done in the Black Bear Park yet. Some work was done a couple weeks ago to redirect the flow into the Black Bear hole and to create some character to the creek between 2nd Ave. and the Black Bear. If you see Russ Huff thank him for his contribution to make that work possible.

A rock had fallen in from the A-hole structure and was creating a sieve in the river right edge of the drop from the overhanging concrete and left over rocks. The Town did some work in December to try to shore up the A-hole and adjust the rock to make it safer for swimmers and tubers. With Meadow Park being closed this is where everyone played in the river last summer. The structure crumbled as soon as it was touched from the severe head cutting. Rocks were stacked bank in and have settled around some. I can throw big loops in it right now, but I don't imagine anyone else will play in it.

The structure downstream is a diversion dam that takes a lot of water to the ditch headgates down the river left channel. The structure will need more water than the others in the St. Vrain because it looses so much to the ditch.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Huge thank you to everyone involved in fixing/improving the Lyons park. Hopefully the new downstream feature will be better with more water, it seems like it might.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts