Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I see there is a lot of good info on the North Platte - Northgate Canyon area on the forums. Specifically wanted to get some input/advice on our plans to see what experience has taught you guys. We are fairly new white water boaters -have done some class II's on river and white water parks. Being from Iowa, we like the idea of a more remote canyon river type run. Northgate canyon looks to be a beautiful area but with the class III's would be a little bit of an upgrade for us. We have a self-bailing IK and a Pyranha Fusion SOT WW (up to Class III) kayak. We were thinking of a mid-July trip and according to American WW the river is runable down to 400 cfs. Thinking that lower flows may be good for us with the water being less pushy and holes being less sticky although not sure if my thinking is correct so need some input here. Also, it seems that Routt access to Bennett Peak is a two day trip is that correct? If our trip is a go, can anyone recommend the best person/service for a shuttle? Finally, with our skill level and mid-July time frame would we be better off just looking at the Upper Colorado Pumphouse section for a run instead of Northgate? Thanks for all your input!

·
Registered
86 Posts
It would be a really long 2 days from Routt to Bennett at low water, I would plan on 3 or 4. you can take out at pickaroon for a nice 2 day 18 mile stretch but it requires 4wd and good tires.

·
Registered
676 Posts
You're too late in mid-July. I was just there for a few days last week, and the river is really too low already. You'll run into issues with private property above Bennett Peak where the river spreads out and gets really shallow at lower flows. Plus it'll be a PITA from all the rock dodging.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, how about just a run to 6 Mile Gap? What would be the minimal levels for that run assuming you could do that in one day?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've run Northgate with three people and plenty of overnight gear in a 14' raft Routt to 6 mile @750. Some bony spots but very floatable. Kayaks should be good to go. Hauling the raft and gear out @ 6mile was not fun. We were planning on Bennet but had to change plans last minute. Most of the camps are below 6mile but there are a couple up high.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts