Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a trip planned with some friends, mix of experienced and beginner, to kayak the North Platte from Six Mile Gap to Bennett Peak in a mix of recreational kayaks and creek boats. It was supposed to be a mix of hanging out, fishing, and a few little rapids for beginners to get experience on.

The plan is to put in on June 25th and overnight in or around Pickaroon.

Up until four or five days ago everything looked gravy, but since then the discharges at Northgate have really nose-dived.

Browsing the forums it looks like about the bare minimum we would want to run this is at 500cfs... is that correct? Right now Northgate is at 750cfs.

I'm hoping people who have some experience with the river can give me an idea what to expect at low flows and when I should pull the plug and opt for a Plan B.

Speaking of, does anyone have a good recommendation on a Plan B in the area? I'm driving up from Northeast Colorado, and already paid my out of state decals and fishing licenses so would like to keep it in the area. I'm assuming we could just put in further down river, but maybe there is a better option somewhat nearby I could check out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We were just up there last week in very heavy rafts. I think you are probably good to go down to 500 and even a bit below. Doug creek, french and big creek are all still adding a good amount of water below the gauge. There are some great river campsites but very easy to miss while floating.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I've floated between six mile and saratoga a lot for fishing and family floats. There is a lot of private water downstream of the Douglas Creek/Pickaroon campground. There's one stretch in particular, may 3-4 miles above Bennett Creek, where the river widens out and gets very bony below 800 cfs, and it's private property, so you're technically not supposed to get out of your boat to unstick yourself. You can probably float it in less than that in a kayak since you can find the low water channel and maneuver much easier than in a raft.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Seems like we should be able to pull it off even if it gets a little ugly. Obviously should have planned to do it sooner, I think the median chart on USGS site and last year's run gave me some wrong impressions, but I look forward to making it back some other time when things are running higher.

·
amigo de peces
2 Posts
I'm overnighting this same stretch on those dates - hope to see you out there! How big is your group?
I had the same thought on the flows... we should be good at 500 or above (I have a non-self-bailing bucket boat - Flycraft). I am hoping this moisture puts us closer to 800 next weekend. I floated this stretch last summer at 600. It was a little boney and I flipped my boat (dumb mistake) but nothing too technical. Beautiful stretch of river...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right on Costamesabum, we hope to see you out there. I have a crew of six people, maybe seven. A big part of this trip is showing the gang the ropes and teaching good etiquette as well as how to have fun, so please don't be a stranger and say hi to the crew and share any intel and general knowledge you may have. My name is Max so you can connect with us that way. I'm new to Mountain buzz but i assume you can PM me if you want to exchange numbers.

Dang, that is a cool looking boat. Wasn't aware of those prior. Looks they do alright on low flows?

I'm liking the rain we had but obviously praying to the rain gods every night that we get more.

·
amigo de peces
2 Posts
Great, my name is Preston. I'll keep an eye out for you. If you haven't already, I would have your group take a look at this map:
https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/content/PDF/Fishing/NORTHPLATTE_FLOATAREA_MAP.pdf
This will help you avoid any private land. It is all public land until Pickaroon CG. I am planning on camping just below Douglas Rapid, but above Pickaroon. Have fun, fingers crossed for flows above 600cfs!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts