Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went up and checked out north fork of the slate today, ive heard this has been run before, does anybody have the info on it? was the super gnar gnar run or just the gnar gnar? there seemed to be a fair amount of wood and there was plenty of snow bridges higher up but from just above the big falls down looked pretty nice (except for a few minor wood placements). anybody have the info on this crazy run?

·
Registered
882 Posts
BJ Johnson did the first D back in 1998(?). It's in Wet Ones I think. If not that, than Over the Edge. I haven't been up there to see it personally, so I don't know if he ran the uber-gnar you talked about, but he definitely ran some stout stuff.

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
really? nice...i uploaded a pic in the creeks section of the uber gnar, maybe somebody will recognize it....if anyone else wants more pics of this stretch i can upload them

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yeti,
Great pic. Post more if you have them. There is also some footage of "Danielle" dropping the NF of the slate in Buck Fever.

Steve.

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
score, ill have to get that video then...ill upload more of that stretch a little later today

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Nate Elliot ran that drop last summer and there was a pic of it in the back of Kayaker mag. Looks good to go if you have an enormous set of steel balls. Nate said, "I looked at each of the moves and knew I could do them."

·
Charc in = charc out
475 Posts
P.S. ...

daniel ran it in a riot hammer (long pointy playboat) in '98. he & raymond ran all the shit in colo that year in playboats.

BJ's first d was with shannon carrol the year before.

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
none of the tiers actually look that bad except for the one at the bottom, where it bounces off of a ledge in mid-fall....it looks like you might be able to squeeze past on the left tho....definetly fo sho on the ginormous set of steel balls though

·
Registered
374 Posts
I think I see the line through every drop... the top drop looks problematic to all the people on vid I've ssen run it. Everyone goes deep against the left wall. Shannon Carol's line scares the hell out of me in "over the edge."

Yeti, I've been up there to look at it, but didn't look at the runout below the last big drop pictured, I seem to remember the creek getting squeezed down to about 2' wide... Is there room for eddying out above that mess/safety?

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yep, it gets squeezed out through a narrow little chute at the bottom, but theres a brief line of slack water afterwards. as for the top drop, it kind of starts as the river makes a left turn, but there is slack water at the top where you could pull out and scout. the walls arent vertical at that point.

·
Registered
30 Posts
yooooooo,
I'v seen a bunch of runs down this...
Tommy Hilleke runs that thing just in passing. Anyhow, watchout for a heafty piton in the very first drop. Its hard to get the nose up in that tight slot move. Tommy pitoned here his first run down in an old Gliss...its in the White Album if you have that.
good luck,
trey

·
Registered
374 Posts
Why does everyone plop into that first drop? Could you get your nose on hte rocks on the right and lessen your depth. Every vid I see, the entrance is deep & ugly with that hit.

I've got the White Album, had to buy it. I realized at JJs showing I was in the rag doll section: pitoning Harmon and rag dolling...

Steve.

Trey, I think you were there that day running it with Hand paddles. Not right.

·
Registered
12 Posts
been run a bunch...

BJ and :p shannon first d'ed it. run the next year by by daniel in a glide, not a hammer, and tommy. Then j. grace and i ran it in 2000. i'm sure it's been run many other times since. good fun but definately check the slot just below the falls combo for wood. -c. young

1 - 14 of 14 Posts