Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sounds like there is a river wide strainer a short distance downstream from Hotchkiss, Colorado on the North Fork of the Gunnison river. There were 2 boats flipped yesterday and it sounds like 1 raft is stuck on the strainer. Both sides of the river are private property at this location.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey there,

Did this strainer get taken care of last year? Looking to run this stretch this coming weekend.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have not run that stretch this year, but other people are floating it regularly so I believe it is now clear. To be certain you could contact Western Slope SUP at (970)872-2352. I hear they have been taking clients down that stretch this year. Have fun

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies!

Never done from Paonia River Park down. Any hazards for an IK or a big oar frame raft at current flows(1000 cfs)?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have done it in a 13 foot oar frame raft and a 1 man kick boat with 7 foot pontoons and found 1000 cfs to be a fun float in each craft. It probably goes without saying that moving water can always present hazards, but if a person has some experience and does not float alone this stretch is pretty mellow while still giving you the chance to get splashed. There is a new boat ramp at the Delta county fairgrounds in Hotchkiss if you don't want to do the entire stretch from Paonia to Pleasure Park. It is a couple of hundred yards downstream of the Highway 92 bridge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts