Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen any chatter about this for awhile. Who's coming??? Should be a good time this weekend!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Sickest / scariest paddling event ever!

Everything went smooth, and my only complaint about this amazing first year event was that there weren't enough trash cans. :)

The locals are stoked that in the Jacob's Ladder race, local Ryan Casey took home the gold. In second was Tyler Bradt, and Mikkel St. Jean Duncan in third.

You will see more of this soon, and take my word for it, it will blow you away!

-Micah Kneidl

·
Registered
539 Posts
Way sketchy at some points, especially when the guy's skirt imploded after Rock Drop and he ran Taffy right after!!!

So many near misses but those boaters were SOLID. I thought the boater in the Tuna (forgot his name) had the cleanest, smoothest lines. Certainly looked that way at Taffypuller, where I was sitting.

Tyler's first run was sick. So was Evan Garcia's, actually. I was stoked that Ryan did so well!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Wilz Martin was in the Tuna and won the "cat's head" trophy later in the night for his perfect line. He also had that line after qualifying for the race by placing fifth the night before.

It certainly wasn't fair that one or two people weren't invited, but that's the nature of any invitational race. Brian Ward's exclusion was a shame, but there certainly was a stacked line-up.

I just finished my first draft of the NFC 2012 video. It will be uploaded and ready for your viewing here on mountainbuzz tomorrow!

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Nf was the shit both races were dope over the two day festival. Probably the most organized event I have been to. People had fun and everybody had a great time. Minus having a harder time finding some boaters to run the top and middle five with due to the amount of alcohol consumption, we still got Er done. North fork is theshit if you have never been

·
Registered
269 Posts
That was some next-level shit. Jake's made everyone look out of control at some point. It's a testament to the skill of the competitors that everyone came through safe (there were a couple of swims and at least one hard flip into a rock).

It was also amazing to watch the guys on deck at the top of the ramp. Didn't matter who it was, every competitor had the same nervous but determined look in their eyes. Lots of closed eyes and deep breaths.

Gate two seemed to be the crux. It required a "man surf" in Rock Drop from the river left eddy to make the gate. Then you're pointing right, out of breath, and floating into Taffy Puller. Plenty of sick boaters got tea-bagged in Taffy as a result. But don't worry, there's only about half a mile of class V runout before the finish line. The picture below, courtesy of Mike Reid, shows the typical scene--EG feeling the burn, trying to make this super tough move.

The party went down in typical Team Banks fashion--loud and late. Sweet tunes from DJ Revolve, and lots of sweaty bodies on a dance floor that's usually used for line dancing. Kudos to James Byrd for putting together an incredible event.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Jake's Results (notice how close 2-5 are): http://www.northforkchampionship.com/results/expert-division/

Lower 3 Qualifier (Ben Luck crushed it in a Tornado, 15-year-old Alec Voorhees running close with the big boys): http://www.northforkchampionship.com/results/expert-division-2/

Catshead's Award -- most impressive feat of the weekend goes to Wilz Martin, who showed up, qualified, and was just fractions of second off the podium in the main event. Not sure this guy had ever paddled in Idaho before. Regardless, he had one of the smoothest runs of the day.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Nice pics Cory. Love that first one. Your last shot, that looked huge from below he almost got pulled out of his boat. Nice shots.
Thanks Mike! We prob walked right by each other that day. I see you got some shots of the dude in the red boat flying out of the water from another angle. CooL!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts