Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just have a few questions about the Nomad. I'm 5'8", 155 lbs, so the smaller Nomad would be the one for me. How stringent are the weight recommendations? Have a few buddies that are around 6', 180lbs, and are wondering if the smaller Nomad would work for them. Also I've read the horror stories about adjusting the seat. Is Dagger going to correct this for 2005 Nomads. I've also read that there might be a plastic issue under the seat. Apparently the bottom of the boat flexes a little and the seat is slowly wearing through the plastic. Any modifications for this issue in 2005? Will the outfitting still be the same for 05, since Dagger has come out with new outfitting style for their other boats? I especially like the fact the with the new outfitting (like on the Mamba) that the metal flip switches are recessed a little into the thighbraces. Will the new Nomads have this?

Finally just would like to get a general consensus of how this boat punches holes. I've heard from some people that due to not having much rocker, that the boat goes deep and doesn't clear hydrualics like it should. Any stern ender problems.

Looking for a good boat for Colorado, but that will also perform well on the big granite drops in Cali. Thanks in advance.

Mike

·
Registered
281 Posts
i cannot answer most of your questions, as i am not hobie, but i can say that: i am 5'9" 180 and i paddle the 8.1 - and like it. the only thing i do not like is the lack of adjustibility in the seat. it paddles better when i carry my broach/first aid kit between my legs as opposed to the stern. one friend in west virginia had a seat that wore through the hull from the inside, but it was immediately replaced and he loves the boat! a good example of this boat punching through holes: paddling the lower meadow, a buddy in a diesel tried to punch through the bottom right hole at hell's gates at 1550 cfs got surfed and swam, in the nomad 8.1, i punched right through, almost accellerating out of it...again, i can't tell you anything about the 05 boats or some of you other questions, but all-in-all i have had good experiences with the nomad!

matt

·
Registered
851 Posts
Howdy Mike, Here goes...
"How stringent are the weight recommendations?"
To be honest, it is up to you. I’m 6'4 215lbs and can paddle both. At first I was loving the smaller one. That is until I paddled the big in' which I now love more. It bashes thru stuff.

"Also I've read the horror stories about adjusting the seat. Is Dagger going to correct this for 2005 Nomads?"

I’m not sure. I have yet to hear but will let you know. As for the seats the rotomolded is for sure tougher then the one in the Mamba (it is thermoform). I like the switches as well but again im out of the loop and will inquire.

" I've also read that there might be a plastic issue under the seat. Apparently the bottom of the boat flexes a little and the seat is slowly wearing through the plastic. Any modifications for this issue in 2005?"

I have heard this from a handful of paddlers (4) and as Matt mentioned they have been replaced. My Nomad has 40 hard days on it and has no flex except what you would expect. Scratches, a few hits, but otherwise ready to send er' down some runoff in 2005.

"Finally just would like to get a general consensus of how this boat punches holes. I've heard from some people that due to not having much rocker, that the boat goes deep and doesn't clear hydraulics"

To that I say "what???!!!" I beat Jed Selby in the Diesel at Gore this year. Jed is one sickly fast paddler with major skills in a nice boat but have to use this as an example. It CRUISES thru stuff!! I have had not one problem at all getting surfed.

Hope this helps. And Jed, nothing personal. I’m already looking forward to the re-match.

hobie
Dagger Kayaks

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Hobie and Matt for your replies.

The only reason I mentioned the punching holes thing is that I paddled with 2 buddies in NZ and they both said they got surfed a couple times in hydraulics. They felt that the boat kinda of stalled out midway thru punching the hole and got sucked back in. Stern quirting didn't seem to be an issue. But who knows maybe they just didn't have enough speed the get thru. They both were paddling the 8.5

But I love Dagger. Every Dagger boat I've ever had just seemed to fit right. I've had a dillema wheather to buy a full on creeker (Nomad) or go with the hybrid (Mamba). But since the Mamba seems quite a bit smaller than the Nomad volume wise, and since the Nomad comes with a rotomolded seat, I think the obvious choice is the Nomad. So Hobie yeah I'd definetly like to hear back on some of those issues before I buy. Hopefully the water will be sick this year! Thanks again.

Mike

·
Registered
851 Posts
No worries. I already sent an e-mail to the factory asking if they are changing it up. I will let you know when I hear something. And if you are going creeking then yes, the Nomad. It was made for it.

h

·
Registered
882 Posts
I took one down Tallulah last year and it had more speed than I knew what to do with. It punched holes fine for me. Esp. at Oceana. You don't even need to be upright...

·
Registered
851 Posts
Some answers. I hate to just post up an e mail but Snowy is telling it like it is and to me honesty is the best policy. So yes to the flip switch thing, the hulls are fine and solid but needed better support from behind (done), adjustable seat is on the drawing board but no set date or solid answer, other projects in the works (typical).

hobie
Dagger Kayaks

Robin

How is everything going. I hope you had a good Christmas and all the best for the New Year.

We have all discussed this issues with the Creek boat outfitting and are aware of some warranties arising. I am checking to make sure the boats are being sent out with the correct amount of support foam so as to help prevent hull wear. Regarding the non adjustability of the seat, we are certainly of the opinion that it needs a redesign. At present however there are a number of outfitting projects in the pipeline that have priority over this. We are looking into what can be done to possibly modify the existing system to allow adjustability but it more than likely will require a redesign for the job to be done properly.

We should not send out a definite yes response and lead people into thinking we will be offering a new system as yet. We cant promise if or when it may become available so we are not prepared to guarantee anything to the market right now.

A couple of things for you to know however. Some of the early boats were released without the correct amount of foam supporting the seat so these may wear more rapidly than others. This problem was noticed very early however so this should only be the case on a small number. Regarding the paddlers question about the flip switches for the backband being recessed more on the thigh braces. The Nomads now have the same thigh braces as the Mambas so the switches are recessed.

Hope this helps and take it easy out there

Snowy

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Hobie for checking on that for me. I guess when I order my boat, I'll make sure to specify that I want a 2005 version of the Nomad. What should I be looking for as far as foam bracing under the seat? The seat is still adjustable though, right? Any tips. Thanks again.

Mike

·
Registered
851 Posts
The seat is adjustable but it takes a bit. Not to tough though and can be done within an hour. Call my cell at 970 390-6860 and i will talk you thru it or even have you over to the house for a beer and we can get er' done.

h

·
Registered
5 Posts
Probably don't need more convincing, but.....

I've paddled the Nomad out in CA and here in CO. It's an extremely predictable boat, and fast as hell. I was on the Thompson with you, Frenchy, this summer when it was around 500 (I think it was about that) and the boat had no problem with the meaty holes on the bottom portion of the one big drop on the main run. It boofs like a machine and surfaces cleanly if and when you do go deep. Anyway, as designs go, I think it's definitely the best creek boat out today. Props to Tony, Mark and Snowy.

I haven't had any issues with mine yet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
mfrench said:
The only reason I mentioned the punching holes thing is that I paddled with 2 buddies in NZ and they both said they felt that the boat kinda of stalled out midway thru punching the hole and got sucked back in. But who knows maybe they just didn't have enough speed the get thru. They both were paddling the 8.5
I paddle the 8.1 and after moving the seat forward a little I noticed the same problem. I got a buddy to look at my trim, when I lent forward to punch holes I was disengaging the front rocker, losing all my forward speed in the foam pile and felt like I was being sucked back into the holes I wanted to avoid. I moved the seat back and it punches holes no probs.

The seat is adjustable but it takes a bit. Not to tough though and can be done within an hour.
WHAT??? Takes a bit longer than an hour. You have to take out all the bolts and redrill everything a nightmare to adjust, but I have to say it is solid.

I am checking to make sure the boats are being sent out with the correct amount of support foam so as to help prevent hull wear.
I can fit my hand under the hull runner (between the seat & piller), do I have the wrong amount of support foam??

·
Registered
851 Posts
If it seems to need foam then give er'. If it's an issue, contact the factory. As for the seat adjustment, I promise you I can get it moved in an hour.

hobie

·
Registered
17 Posts
ok. so now the question is do you want to move the seat. What or the pros and cons....
You need to get the boat on the water and check the trim to see if you need to move the seat. As for pros & cons, if your seat is in the wrong position it will affect the trim too far back and you will end up back looped alot, too far forward loose forward speed, stall trying to punch hole/stoppers. If you adjust the seat to the right position for your weight (even though 2 people are the same weight, 1 person could have heavier feet/head a different weight distribution) mmmmmm schweeeet boating.

Hobie asures it only takes an hour, if you need to move it, move it, you'll be better off in the long run.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Interesting, wonder if my seat is adjusted right. So what would you look at for any boat to check this out since lots of boats do not have equal rocker in the bow and stern?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts