Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who out there is paddling these? How big are you and what would you recommend? The 8.1 is almost exactly the same size as my now retired boat and I'm leaning this direction. However, Dagger is saying 170lbs top end weight for the 8.1...and I seem to remember somebody crying about it over at Escalante the other week. Steve, was that you?

Me:
6'1"
weight: 185-190 (plus pin kit, breakdown, etc)
Usage: Front Range Battle Mank (USB, SSV, NSV, BS, etc...)
Dashingly handsome

Thanks for the advice
F

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hey Frank,

I have a 8.1 and like it a lot. I'm about 150lbs and 5'9" though.

For front range mank at low water, I think you'll like the sportiness of the 8.1. At high flows you'll probably like the 8.5 better.

Seems folks in your weight range are opting for either size, depending on style of boating and personal preference. Best to try both, IMO.

frenchy

·
Registered
688 Posts

I took the 8.1 down SSV last Saturday the 7th. My only complaint-- I felt it slid past instead of carving into eddys. Coming from a Gradient (now split, but was able to catch the smallest of eddys that the hog could fit into), I expected this chined modern creeker to snap into eddys. In the boats defense, I needed to move the seat forward a bit as I was bottoming out the backband, but didn't have the tools. Give it a try as I heard this complaint from a friend taking it down OBJ last year. I do plan on trying the 8.5 soon too.

5'11" and 170/175 in boxers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts