Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that the no riverboard rule on Grand Canyon only applies to Carlson riverboards, I think it might because I looked up riverboards and found out the Carlson riverboard is in fact a rescue board, and i read on their regulations is said Carlson riverboards are for rescue purposes only. But what about anvils riverboards, and other hydrospeed riverboards that are actually used as a sport. I noticed the rule addressed and said Carlson riverboards the overgrown kick board looking things, so they might allow hydrospeed riverboards they allow paddle boards.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I'm all for self support stuff... but I just don't know how you'd manage self supporting on a river board.

Pretty sure they won't mind you bringing a River Board... its having it as a primary water craft that they don't want to see. If its just something fun to play with and you have your gear and food on another approved craft then you can bring pretty much whatever you want to "play" with. The group of ladies that ran it on river boards had rafts to run all their gear down the river with.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mikesse

For your information I am trying to get outside ever since I got a black belt in Taekwondo I have been looking for a new sport and I found it. It’s not like I would start on something like Grand Canyon anyway just like in taekwondo I’m gonna have to practice before I can run the canyon. The first and foremost place that I’ll likely start out is a white water park and maybe some small class 2 and 3 stuff. Grand Canyon is just the plan on what I do when I’m ready to advance to harder stuff.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
For your information I am trying to get outside ever since I got a black belt in Taekwondo I have been looking for a new sport and I found it. It’s not like I would start on something like Grand Canyon anyway just like in taekwondo I’m gonna have to practice before I can run the canyon. The first and foremost place that I’ll likely start out is a white water park and maybe some small class 2 and 3 stuff. Grand Canyon is just the plan on what I do when I’m ready to advance to harder stuff.
I can't tell if you are playing the long con troll or if you are real, but either way keep it up.

·
Super Moderator
4,105 Posts
Grand Canyon is just the plan on what I do when I’m ready to advance to harder stuff.
It could be years (or weeks) before you're ready and have a spot on a Grand trip. I recommend you get used to enjoying the journey that will get you there.

-AH

·
Misspellingintothefuture!
1,901 Posts
And maybe read the book by Bill Beer, and also George Whites account of swimming the Grand Canyon. Both of those people actually SWAM it, all holding onto dry bags I believe. George went on to be the first person to do commercial raft trips in the Grand Canyon. Very cold water down there comming out of the dam, so dry suite territory to be on a river board, most likely. Probably some insight in the story's of swimming it, about what it might like, and at least a good read if nothing else!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Gamer242, you're right! Them Hydrospeeds is totally allowed down there - and fer good reason, they're great fer sport! You should come out and hit the waves with us! Me and the fellas do Tae Kwon Do down by the river before crushing waves on our riverboards all the time! Sumtimes we see who can kick a riverboard in half! Let's have some sports!

·
Registered
225 Posts

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
A slight correction to Mattmans post. George Whites is actually a woman named Georgie who swam the bottom part of the canyon.

"Back in June 1945, a woman named Georgie White and her friend, Harry Aleson, had decided to swim down the Grand Canyon because the two did not have money to buy or rent a boat.
They jumped into Diamond Creek wearing windbreakers, shoes, backpacks with food and beverages, and life jackets. They were swept away by the current, 60 miles down to Lake Mead"

·
1,901 Posts
Ya, the name I meant to convey was Georgie. I just can't spell, always been a major challenge for me!
Thanks for the correct.

·
Registered
91 Posts
A slight correction to Mattmans post. George Whites is actually a woman named Georgie who swam the bottom part of the canyon.

"Back in June 1945, a woman named Georgie White and her friend, Harry Aleson, had decided to swim down the Grand Canyon because the two did not have money to buy or rent a boat.
They jumped into Diamond Creek wearing windbreakers, shoes, backpacks with food and beverages, and life jackets. They were swept away by the current, 60 miles down to Lake Mead"

Is this the same (in)famous Georgie White, who ran the motor rigs down the Canyon?

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
It is the same lady. There have been claims that she was also Bessie Hyde in hiding. I believe that story was debunked.

·
1,901 Posts
Death in Grand Canyon has a fair amount on the Hyde mystery, including the Bessie = Georgie theory.
Also a great book for pretty much anyone wanting to boat or hike the Grand Canyon, some story's are tragic and a little morbid, but it gives great insight int what NOT to do!! So many tragic patters, of people making all the same Fatal errors. Well written, entertaining at times, and even some happy endings instead of all bad ones.

·
Super Moderator
4,105 Posts

I think someone mentioned above that the water would have been cold due to dam release, however this was before the dam so the water would've been relatively much warmer than now days.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts