Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Honestly, that's one reason I don't like to paddle down there... I feel like a spectacle to the hoards of tourists. Makes it too much like an amusement park.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
has anyone ever had a helicopter fly in over them in the canyon? i swear it happened to us once but every time i try to get people siked up for it nada. that was cool.

·
Registered
579 Posts
yeah the heli is pretty BA.
glen i was with you the 1st time i saw him/it.

the banks and the climbs he does are way cool.

glad the train will still be there. i kinda like the circus show.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The article is about the amusement park ride up on the rim and not the standard gage train at river level.
Thanks Bruce. I didn't even realize there was a train up top (never visited the tourist trap up around the bridge)....

·
Kayak/SUP Instructor
1,332 Posts
The heli pilot at the Gorge is a great guy. He used to be a Cobra pilot in Vietnam and was based out of the same place as my Dad who was a slick pilot with the 101st. A couple years ago when he still had the Jet Ranger here he gave my wife and I a ride on the last day before he went back to Texas for the season.

I've flown in helicopters in combat and that day at the gorge we put her in the front seat and I hopped in back. I asked him not to hold anything back and he definately gave us our monies worth. A couple of times we were right down on the deck and then did a stall up over the top of the bridge. It was memorable.

Highly recommend it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Unfortunately, the heli ride is not allowed to go through the gorge like it used to. Something with FAA regulations. My guests used to really enjoy seeing that and I certainly did too.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Mike doesn't fly his Jet Ranger anymore the rumor is FAA troubles. He still runs the business, but they use a slower training helicopter and a different pilot. Mike once crashed on the rim and walked out with a broken arm and ribs. No custies on board.

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
the guy who bought is the same guy who is causing a stir in the North Fork of the Gunny valley for his artificial western town. story here:

Bear Ranch and the Price of Privacy

sounds like the guy is a total western nut, and it doesn't hurt that he owns the Oxbow mine just down the road in Paonia. my girlfriend and I drove over to Glenwood yesterday via Kebler and we were blown away by how big of an operation this whole get go is.....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mike doesn't fly his Jet Ranger anymore the rumor is FAA troubles. He still runs the business, but they use a slower training helicopter and a different pilot. Mike once crashed on the rim and walked out with a broken arm and ribs. No custies on board.

Oh that is such a shame.....I took a flight with him and my son...he timed with the train and we made a "dive bomb" pass over the train...what a BLAST....I am sorry to hear is not flying anymore...he seem like a great guy.

Scott

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the guy who bought is the same guy who is causing a stir in the North Fork of the Gunny valley for his artificial western town. story here:

Bear Ranch and the Price of Privacy

sounds like the guy is a total western nut, and it doesn't hurt that he owns the Oxbow mine just down the road in Paonia. my girlfriend and I drove over to Glenwood yesterday via Kebler and we were blown away by how big of an operation this whole get go is.....
That is an interesting article Kit, with lots of information. I wasn't aware of this situation. Sounds like the guy has brought a lot of money into the local economy, but I am concerned with the precedent that could be set by this proposed "land swap" if he is allowed to close access to the Deep Creek Wilderness in the Raggeds. Regardless of how lightly it is currently used, the situation could play out similarly all over the state if it goes through.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
YGC, thanks for that link. The Koch brothers are effing one percenters with waaaay too much power (money). The robber baron/gilded age is back and the rest of us are poorer for it.

·
Super Moderator
4,016 Posts
It looks like we'll get to be the ones paying for his privacy by losing access to OUR public lands. This is another type of taking that, for me, falls into the category of "privatization of public resources" - a growing phenomenon these days.

·
Super Moderator
2,841 Posts
I'm guessing this kind of money is damn near unstoppable, but who should we write to to discourage this land swap? The idea that he can buy off the access to public wilderness seems so absurd, yet i fully expect it to happen.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts