Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time raft buyer. I’m a little overwhelmed by all the options and add ons. I still consider myself new to the sport so I’m looking for a boat that will let me learn. 14’ seems about right but let me know what you have. I’m based in Denver but I can travel just about anywhere if you have something I’ll want. I’m not interested in fishing, I’m looking for a boat that can handle white water and multi day trips.

I’m also interested in a trailer but it’s not the priority.

If you don’t have a boat for sale but you have advise for me, please tell.

Corey McD

·
Registered
224 Posts
Replying because I was in your shoes a year ago. This site is a great resource, and I find the people on here are way more helpful than some other sites (cough cough TGR). The search bar is a great tool a lot of similar threads to this one, and dozens of other questions you'll definitely have down the road have been answered. To great detail. Read up on things, the rivers your looking to run, and the style of boat you wanna have.

Some of my best take aways:
  • If you're averagely handy: make your own frame. I used an aluminum supplier out near henderson in CO and ordered the fittings online. Saved myself about $1000. (This got me on the water at light speed even while unemployed).
  • In the same breath, look up what B.O.A.T. stands for. It's still expensive to get it kitted out (mostly oars if youre not fishing)
  • Your setup will be ever evolving. You'll get her all setup, go float the Upper C, and then think of 10 things you wanna change. (Making your own frame pays dividends here) So enjoy the process. It's a long one.

What a slow day at work I'm having. Cheers

·
Registered
947 Posts
As for advice, I bought a turn-key (ish) package this summer. It can certainly be worth a packaging that is being sold with all the trimmings so you don't find yourself purchasing $150 in cam straps or working out cockpit angles or bay measurements. If you're checking out a used raft, make sure you view it inflated. It helps to bring along a friend who has some more time with boats who can help pick out reasons to NOT buy the one you're looking at. Bring a spray bottle full of soapy water to look for pinholes. And fiddle with everything. Do the valves work? Do the latches on the drybox close? etc.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Interested in this possibly ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.