Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are going to make the piss poor decision to not wear your helmet, don't be offended when you are called out for that decision in front of your guests.

If you dont want to be called out for making stupid decisions, then don't make stupid decisions!

Yes, Im talking to you, RMA!!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
If you are going to make the piss poor decision to not wear your helmet, don't be offended when you are called out for that decision in front of your guests.

If you dont want to be called out for making stupid decisions, then don't make stupid decisions!

How is this any of your business? Some consider whitewater boating a stupid decision, flirting with death. I accept the dangers and choose my safety gear as I deem necessary, so should you.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Damn Spaceghost, you're the helmet police? You just go down the river hassling river guides while they're working? Lots of people raft Class III without a helmet. I hope that guide runs into you in town soon.

·
Registered
133 Posts
if someone would of yelled at him for not minding his own business when he was younger maybe he wouldnt be like this.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HA,

Love it, keep it coming.

Its everyone's business, because when the guide goes unconscious because he was to cool to wear his helmet and then his boat flips and one of his customers drowns, that affects a whole hell of a lot more than just that one guide. It affects the rescuers, the customers, and the river community as a whole.

As a commercial guide you need to bring your tools to work, not just so you can do your job properly, but out of respect for your co-workers.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damn Spaceghost, you're the helmet police? You just go down the river hassling river guides while they're working? Lots of people raft Class III without a helmet. I hope that guide runs into you in town soon.
Oh randaddy, your so tuff

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are helmets required on the Poudre?
I don't believe helmets are required anywhere. It is however an industry standard to wear one in a paddle raft. Those paddles, in the hands of the WAD, are the most dangerous thing out there.

Also, if it wasnt a big deal why would the RMA guide get so huffy about me asking him where his helmet was in front of his guests?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Damn, now I have to take the other side from the PFD thread. I am generally a no helmet guy, but always a PFD guy. Damn, life is complicated. Sorry spaceghost, I take the personal preference side on this one. I wear it kayaking but rarely rafting, although I can see both sides to this argument, but only because I am so awesome.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Damn, now I have to take the other side from the PFD thread. I am generally a no helmet guy, but always a PFD guy. Damn, life is complicated. Sorry spaceghost, I take the personal preference side on this one. I wear it kayaking but rarely rafting, although I can see both sides to this argument, but only because I am so awesome.
For private boating, sure, do as you will. But when guiding commercial trips your choices affect more than just your self.

Also, way to be level headed with your response.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Every snowflake is precious and unique! Now, where's my ribbon?!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I don't believe helmets are required anywhere. It is however an industry standard to wear one in a paddle raft. Those paddles, in the hands of the WAD, are the most dangerous thing out there.

Also, if it wasn't a big deal why would the RMA guide get so huffy about me asking him where his helmet was in front of his guests?
I think it's more of an insurance standard than an industry standard. Why didn't you talk to the guide in private instead of belittling him in front of a group of people. Anyone would have gotten huffy with you for your approach to the situation.....especially if he wasn't doing anything illegal. Approach is everything when you want to get your point across. ;)

·
Registered
820 Posts

Congratulations on finding an opportunity to assert your non-existent authority. There is nothing wrong with rafting class 3 without a helmet (commercially or non-commercially). You have managed to be both a sissy and make an ass of yourself all at the same time.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think it's more of an insurance standard than an industry standard. Why didn't you talk to the guide in private instead of belittling him in front of a group of people. Anyone would have gotten huffy with you for your approach to the situation.....especially if he wasn't doing anything illegal. Approach is everything when you want to get your point across. ;)
Fair enough, but back to my original statement. If you dont want to be called out for stupid choices, don't make stupid choices.

I really feel the choice the two guides made was ego driven, so as far as belittling them goes, i don't care. Yes, talking to them in person away from their guests would have been more polite, but I really think that would have been ineffective. So, berating them in front of there guests, who all had there helmets on, was my best option. That is if you can consider asking them where their helmet is, berating or belittling.

Plus, if your ego is so fragile it cant handle a little shit from other guides on the river, maybe you should do some yoga or see a therapist.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Congratulations on finding an opportunity to assert your non-existent authority. There is nothing wrong with rafting class 3 without a helmet (commercially or non-commercially). You have managed to be both a sissy and make an ass of yourself all at the same time.
Ahhh, thanks. I strive to be my best!

I've given CPR three times in the last ten years as a non professional rescuer, twice on the river and once on the mountain. None of the victims were in my party or a part of a trip I was on, but both river incidents where in the very class III section these yahoos were going down without helmets. So the class three argument does not hold water in my opinion.

But I love the personal insult, very clever.

·
Registered
329 Posts
haha I'm all for asking them where their helmets are. They could have simply said "We don't require our guides to have helmets on this type of water". But asking a simple safety question, in front of guests or not, seems ok to me. Calling them out for setting an unsafe example also seems fine.

A lot of raft guides are colorado tool bags anyway.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
haha I'm all for asking them where their helmets are. They could have simply said "We don't require our guides to have helmets on this type of water". But asking a simple safety question, in front of guests or not, seems ok to me. Calling them out for setting an unsafe example also seems fine.

A lot of raft guides are colorado tool bags anyway.
Oh so very true! Commercial raft guides tend to be the most egotistical, vain, narcissistic tool bags on the planet. My self included. The only thing worse are musicians.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Oh so very true! Commercial raft guides tend to be the most egotistical, vain, narcissistic tool bags on the planet. My self included. The only thing worse are musicians.
Different season, but can we throw jib rats aka park rats aka parkies in that mix too?

And you are correct, there is a thread on here somewhere about PBR being bought by the Russians.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Different season, but can we throw jib rats aka park rats aka parkies in that mix too?

And you are correct, there is a thread on here somewhere about PBR being bought by the Russians.
Only if I can throw ski instructors in there, haha.

Yeah, those damn commies. Ive been trying to ween my self of the PBR because of that. I feel there a few things you should buy american, and that is guns, ammo, and beer!

1 - 20 of 88 Posts