Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was one of the major topics of discussion for our trip. So much so that I was prepared for swarms. In case anyone is wondering, I just got off the Deso and am happy to report I didn't get a single mosquito bite. I can't even recall hearing one. Slept tent free several nights. I think I got one deer fly bite. On the other hand, once I got home and was sorting gear in my garage I got about 15 ankle biter bites and had to spray down. Enjoy.:cool:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Check-in ranger told us that the river needs to peak above 20k to reach the skeeter breading ground. It didn't this year, so we are enjoying a relatively bug free Deso season.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Super Moderator
4,061 Posts
"the Deso?"

·
Registered
46 Posts
Check-in ranger told us that the river needs to peak above 20k to reach the skeeter breading ground. It didn't this year, so we are enjoying a relatively bug free Deso season.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
friends of mine went down mid june, got eaten alive by skeeters

·
Registered
796 Posts
"the Deso?"
Sounds like the new hipster thing we should adopt....we already have The Grand, now The Deso, we could have The 'Dore (that way we can stop having the same conversation about La' or Lo'), The Main, The Cat, The Middle, The Yamp, and so on and so forth ;)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sounds like the new hipster thing we should adopt....we already have The Grand, now The Deso, we could have The 'Dore (that way we can stop having the same conversation about La' or Lo'), The Main, The Cat, The Middle, The Yamp, and so on and so forth ;)
the juan

·
Registered
169 Posts
and it's the Canyon not the Grand BTW.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Say what? Everybody says the grand or the big ditch that I know of, maybe your local custom is different. If it was the canyon the next question would always be "which canyon?"

"Dude, remember that camp on the grand?"
"Did you get your permit app for the grand in yet?"
"That time on the grand you went into sockdolager sideways and lost your passengers.."
"How much beer should I pack for the grand?"
"Packing list for the grand"

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I picked up "The Deso" here. Wasn't my coinage. And it's been "The Grand" as long as I can remember BTW. And yes, I am the original hipster. The rest only wish they were so legit.

·
Misspellingintothefuture!
1,901 Posts
From reading a number of river history books, it seems the grand canyon in the earlier days of being boated, was often called "The canyon", contemporary river runners are more likely to call it " The Grand". Terminology has changed over the years for various aspects of river running, and i'm guessing that is where tton is coming from.

My generation of river guides reffered to the hole in low water sunshine as the crux hole, since my last time hanging out at corner pocket, it seams kids these days are calling it "el diente" instead.

Can't fight against the youth though, as they will still be boating after i'm reduced to worm food, or running rapids bert loper stile if i'm lucky!

·
Misspellingintothefuture!
1,901 Posts
Which being the annoying thing, the grand or the canyon?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts