Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I've tried searching a few different terms on this subject with no answer. The GCNP reguations for private boats say you have to run navigation lights for night floating. What setups have people run. We launch in October. Anyone have any specifics on what they've rigged up?

Much appreciated.

·
Registered
23 Posts
glow sticks

Funny you should ask , I just spent a fair amount of time solving this for myself:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0044Z3Y78/ref=mp_s_a_1_sc_1?qid=1439349074&sr=8-1-spell&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=battety+glow+sticks

Electric glow sticks. Buy one red, one green. Twelve dollars and just a couple of ounces. They're great in camp too.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I don't know if it's a rule... or just a good idea..
But every TL I've ever night floated with had a glow stick for every pfd as well as red and greens for nav lights.....

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
4 Posts
Glow Sticks

I've done two night floats and we have done glow sticks each time. LOTS of glow sticks! Everyone had them on their body and we put them all over the boats. We used a big spot light to help us navigate. Worked well for us and had no issues.

·
Misspellingintothefuture!
1,901 Posts
Cause' luckily we have the coast guard in the grand to keep us safe

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Don't forget........You also need a white light besides the red and green one. It's mounted on the back of power boats and must have a range of 1 mile of visibility.

·
Misspellingintothefuture!
1,901 Posts
No, just poking fun at the government, seems kinda retarded to use USCG regulations on rivers,( for the most part), often the river is a very different situation.

Plenty of rafts spend time running stern first down the river, then red lights on the starboard, and green on the port don't matter. Might make an argument for lake mead, but mostly you just need a light so people can see you. Glow sticks would be better, since they don't compromise the boatman's night vision so much, at least till you get to there man made lake, but realy you just need big power boats to see you so they don't run you over.

No, would not make my cheeky comments to a park ranger, that's what mtn buz is for, that kind of personal opinion will get you kicked off the river, or in jail, and they have guns and swat teams.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts