Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who's been to Nicaragua surfing...new husband and I are looking for a honeymoon that's affordable, but not dirtbag ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
We went to Nicaragua last summer and spent 3 days surfing in San Juan del Sur, had a blast! Much more affordable than Costa Rica. PM me if you have any specific questions, might be able to help :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
The surf at San Juan del Sur is hard to beat, and it's a fun place to be. You're right across the border from Costa Rica so travel to other breaks is easy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Cheap rooms at Matilda's on Playa Majagual. Walking distance to the break at Maderas, and far enough away from the madness of SJDS.

·
Registered
404 Posts
San Juan Del Sur has zero surf and lots of fast food restaurants, kindof a bad joke, cute downtown with lots of places to stay and great restaurants but expensive and nothing to do there. There is a good surf break 20 minute drive from SJDS at Playa Maderas. There are a couple of different places to stay at maderas, but not many.

Popoyo is a cool little town with epic surf and it's dirt cheap. Terrible food and it's an advanced break but definitely the place if you're into surf.

Tip 1 - Ride public transport instead of renting a car, it's cheap and easy and my good friends were almost killed by bandits while driving a rental car at night.

Tip 2 - If you go anywhere near Managua, there is a super nice volcano lake to stay at just 30 minutes away. Very peaceful and great spot if you get in late or the night before flying out. We had an early flight out and stayed there the night before and it was easy to take a taxi in the morning.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Rule #1 - NEVER drive in Central America at night!!! Even the locals don't drive at night!

Do a Google search for house rentals at Playa Maderas, and you will not be sorry! Stock up w/ food and booze in SJDS, and live simply near the surf break there!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts