Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone run these 2 sections this year. Our group trip may be on plan "B" since the LTB flow are going south. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Gunny Gorge and NF of Gunny

The NF of the Gunny might be ok if your looking for class 3. The Gunny Gorge is probably to low to be worth the time to drive the shuttle and beat up your truck and hike to the river. Why not go to Cross Mt? It seems to be flowing at a good level if you want class 3-4.

Just my 2 cents,
PJ

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We thought about Cross and some of us have run it before. I ran it at about 2000 and it looks like it rising. First time on (real) water this year, so we were thinking about some mellow ww and other runs on the way to the Gunny area, Pardale on the Ark and maybe going to the Gunny play park. How is the play park right now? I did the downriver race last year at the Gunny WW fest and the waves were awesome. Big change from years before.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Gunny Park and Royal Gorge

People here in Gunny have said that the ww park is at a good level. I have also heard that Salida is good. Check it if your passing by. It is decieving and is ok even at low flows. I ran the Royal Gorge last year at this level and it was ok for a class 3 run. It is a good warm up run for the year. One rapid has a little boof in it at this level. It is a fun run though. You can get out and scout this rapid. We scouted it on river right. It could have been a class 4 rapid. Sorry, but I don't remember to much about it. The start and finish were a little thin but it was fun. I hope this helps you a little.

PJ

·
Spits Hot Fire
978 Posts
just curious PJ, you talkin gunny gorge or royal gorge?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It looks like the Gunny Gorge may be too low and going to wait to run this later in the year. We may run North Fork of the Gunny. This has been on my tick list of III's for a while. It seems liek it will be a good warm up. Does anyone know if there is good camping near the North Fork?

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have boated the Gunny as low as 300 cfs. It is low but still good to go. I would suggest bringing beer for that float. :D

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
I'm sort of puzzled. Is the North Fork different than the lower section of the Gunnison Gorge below Black Canyon?? It's my understanding that the lower section below Black Canyon has great class III water, but it is a pain in the ass to shuttle and to get to. Plus I heard that you need a pretty hardy vehicle to get in there.

Thus, what is shuttle like on the North Fork, and how easy is it to access the put in and take-out? Is this the same section of river as the section below Black Canyon?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yes, they are diffrent sections. The Gunny Gorge is below the Black Canyon on the main fork of the Gunnison R. The north fork confluences w/the main fork at the take out for the gunny gorge. The access road for the Gunny Gorge is Chukar Trail. Clearance is recomended, but I have seen lots of sedans make it down the road. You cannot drive it after rain though; the shale gets really slick. A shuttle service is avalable to save you some time.

I have not done the N. Fork, but I believe the shuttle is real easy. A road pretty much runs next to the river.

·
Registered
569 Posts
N. fork Gunnison goes through the town of summerset. Nothing but mine tailings. It is a road side run so what you see is what you get.

The Gunny Gorge is very beautiful and fun at very low levels. I highly reccommend the shuttle service provided by the Fun Park. If you shutttled it yourself I would say that it was not worth doing. But it you don't mind paying to play it is great and I think for a little extra you just ride in their vehicles.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I believe you are thinking of Pleasure Park. Leroy runs the show up there and it is a fun place camp. All the wood you can burn (for warming up) and a kick ass bar. A Long Island T serves for a nice break from the all the beer you drank on the run and an extra special camping treat. I do not do alot of fishing but fishing on the Gunni and at the park is incredible. I have never taken the trouble to fish in the Gorge but at the park and on the island I have had alot of success.

As for the shuttle, it is a pain in the ass but I would NOT let Leroy and his crew drive your car. If you really want to pay for it, pay the extra and have them take there own car. The trail is rough and I have seen those guys rally the cars. Time is money and they are not taking there time in your car.

:D

·
Registered
703 Posts
gunni gorge

if your interested in running it, even at low levels, im getting a group together for next saturday april 24. it will be all kayakers will all ages and experience levels. if your interested just let me know.

[email protected]

josh

1 - 13 of 13 Posts